1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Northern Illinois shooting

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Billy Pritchard, Feb 14, 2008.

1. http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/chi-niu-gunman_webfeb15,0,1760508.story

2. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

God, that's just terrible. The only good thing so far is there aren't any fatalities reported. Hope it stays that way.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I'm guessing there will be.

4. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

I know, but I like to hope things will turn out as well as possible.

5. Italian_Stallion

Italian_Stallion Active Member

Not again. It looks like it just broke. My sister is at EIU. When I saw "Illinois university" in the headline, I nearly threw up.

Gunman dead.

6. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

What the fuck is wrong with people?

7. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Double Down,

That's easiest question to answer.

They're human. The human condition is fallen, sinful and debauched. Nobody is exempt.

8. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

I saw Illinois university and had to make sure it wasn't my school. NIU isn't far and I know a handful of people up there.

9. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I'm about to throw up, lord - and double down asks a good question, alma's answer aside.

Sickening.

10. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Hope everyone's OK up in DeKalb.

11. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Moddy,

Not sure what makes my answer aside. I'm saying, simply, human nature isn't pretty. I just spent three hours last night talking to somebody who just got back from all the shit in Kenya. It merely reaffirms how I feel.

I have no idea why we so cheerfully trust people with guns. It's like trusting the scorpion. Guns are made to be shot. One way or another, they usually are.

12. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Poor wording on my part - I'm a little glazed at the news of another campus shooting. Your answer is good, solid, etc. Yet I still say, "What the fuck is wrong with people?"
    Not sure if that makes any more sense.
    And I agree with you on guns. Completely.

Draft saved Draft deleted