1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Northeast flooding

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by OTD, Jun 28, 2006.

1. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

I know a lot of you are more than tired of the rain on the east coast. The scope of it really hadn't hit me until I tried to call my aunt in upstate NY. Every number I tried, I got recordings from the phone company, which probably doesn't bode well for her little town. All you east coast SportsJournalists.commers, stay dry and be safe!

2. markvid

markvid Guest

My in-laws' town is being partiall evacuated (PA/NY border).
    They were supposed to come to see us today till Saturday, but they are staying home as most roads are under water there.

3. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

George Bush doesn't care about liberals

4. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

Are you kidding? You're thinking of NYC--the upstate area makes Utah look like a progressive hotbed!

5. spnited

spnited Active Member

Northeast Pa. and upstate NY seem particularly hard hit:

ALLENTOWN, Pa.(AP) Up to 200,000 people in the Wilkes-Barre area were ordered to evacuate their homes Wednesday because of rising water on the Susquehanna River, swelled by a record-breaking deluge that has killed at least 10 people across the Northeast.

The northeastern Pennsylvania city, which was devastated by flooding in 1972 by the remnants of Hurricane Agnes, is now protected by levees. But county officials said they were being cautious because the Susquehanna was expected to crest just shy of the tops of the 41-foot floodwalls.

6. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Worse. He's putting Brownie on the job.

7. Platyrhynchos

Platyrhynchos Active Member

On the other end of the spectrum, folks in my neck of the woods would absolutely welcome a rain of that magnitude.

I'm honest-to-God serious, too.

8. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

Well, Wash D.C. also flooded.

And we need some rain in a bad way. Especially along the Utah-Arizona border. Just enough to wash away Warren Jeffs an his freaks while also putting out some fires.

9. markvid

markvid Guest

Sadly, getting all of that in one lump sum does nothing but run off of hard ground, and it's a waste.
    You guys need a few soakers spread out over a period of time.

10. Platyrhynchos

Platyrhynchos Active Member

But, Markvid, that's exactly what we need. Ponds are dry. Ponds I've never in my life seen dry are now dry (I'm 47). Pastures have little or no grass. Cattle ranchers are hurting big-time here.

11. shotglass

shotglass Guest

It appears the Susquehanna is going to crest around mid-day tomorrow, and we're going to have some pretty nasty trouble along the river in our little burg. We have an artsy neighborhood right by the banks at the bottom of town, and I suspect they're going to be evacuated. We're already boiling all water.

And, of course, City Island is going to be missing from the map for a day or two. Completely underwater.

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Does this mean it's going to flow into the Ohio then the Mississippi and then New Orleans will be underwater again?

Draft saved Draft deleted