1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

North Korea shells South Korea, soldiers injured

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by NoOneLikesUs, Nov 23, 2010.

1. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

But as we know, Jong can shoot 38 on a par-72 course with just his driver, a wedge and a putter.

2. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

You would think if we really wanted the Kims gone, we could take him out with spec ops troops and let the South Koreans clean up the loose ends before the Chinese even knew about it.

3. Gues#t

Gues#t Guest

Japan is very fearful about this situation. It dominated their Tuesday AM news.

On the other hand, planes are flying in and out of the airport in Seoul, so the South Koreans haven't gone to the matresses...yet.

And by the way, there's a school of thought that the Kims aren't the problem; senior military is. I don't know enough to have a useful opinion.

4. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  5. Gues#t

Gues#t Guest

By the way, have you noticed the location of this island? It's right smack up against the underbelly of North Korea. It's not like the NorKs were lobbing shells into the Seoul suburbs. Very bad, but not as bad as I thought.

6. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

7. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

They've had many little skirmishes before similar to this one which often are forgotten about, but shelling for an hour is pretty damn ballsy. I'm really curious as to what the timetable for the South's military response was. I wondered if they sat around for a while as the shells fell and then decided to scramble some jets and fire a few rounds of their own when it got too hot.

Dicey situation though. South Korea is in this for the long haul it seems. They're smart not to risk civilian devastation. I think they think it's better to keep waiting to see if the Nork leadership cult collapses under its own weight one day.

One also has to wonder if current TSA heightened security measures aren't in place to stop North Korean special agents from attacking aircraft. They've done it before:

http://www.npa.go.jp/keibi/kokutero1/english/0403.html

8. Ilmago

Ilmago Guest

It's unsettling. Especially since North Korea is believed to have between 6 and 12 nuclear warheads already. Keeping fingers crossed ...

9. SoCalScribe

SoCalScribe Member

As of now, no news about this on the official DPRK news site, although they do tend to lag behind by a day or so on the internet. I am very interested to see how the North spins this one. I'm guessing they'll cite a terrible provocation and laud their brave, bold response.

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

North Korea seems to be like that 12-year-old girl who starts punching boys in the arm to let them know they like them.

11. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Glad to see North & South Korea get into the spirit of Rivalry Weekend.

12. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Predictably, they say the South shot first. Doesn't even jibe with the rest of their statement, which is the same shit as usual - "We warned them not to have their annual military exercises!"

All their statement needed was "dammit Awec Baldwin!" tacked on at the end.

Draft saved Draft deleted