1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

North Dakota's oil rush lures Chicago-area residents

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Mar 17, 2013.

1. Tom Petty

Tom Petty New Member

i'd rather visit south dakota than alabama, so there's that. how's that? ; )

2. Gold

Gold Active Member

Communities which are based on oil usually are "boom or bust" economies. If the price of oil goes down - as it did in the mid-1980s - the well-paying jobs are cut back. In the early 1980s, people went to Texas and there were a lot of jobs available. People were selling copies of Texas Sunday papers in Detroit. There were jobs abailable, but when the oil prices dropped in the 1980s, the jobs went and suddenly Texas wasn't such a great place.

The international demand for oil will probably keep prices high for a little longer than in the 1980s, but energy prices are never certain. Increasing cars getting an additional five miles per gallon would have dramatic impacts on energy prices.

3. SoCalScribe

SoCalScribe Member

This is odd, but I'm curious. I've never been to Alabama either. Nor have I been to: Mississippi, Vermont, Maine, Delaware, Rhode Island or Missouri. How 'bouts you?

4. SoCalScribe

SoCalScribe Member

Unfortunately, China's incredible, exponential explosion of car ownership is going to keep gas prices high, high, high until we figure out an alternative. The slight decline in U.S. gas use is completely obliterated by the Chinese spike.

5. Gold

Gold Active Member

That may be true, although a friend who visited China said they were working on high-speed rail lines.

6. Tom Petty

Tom Petty New Member

vermont, maine, delaware, RI and i'v lived in missouri.

7. Tom Petty

Tom Petty New Member

mississippi is another i never will bother to visit.

8. Because so many Chinese want a car to travel across the country.

9. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

One of at least two "how many states have you been to" threads since I've been here:

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/58818/

I think the second one was more recent.

As far as this article goes, I think it's one that many, many newspapers across the country could do. There are so many out-of-town license tags in ND it might as well be Disney.

Female kickers, first baby of the year, citizen moving to ND to make a fortune. Applicable everywhere.

10. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I read once that North Dakota is the least visited state in the continental US.

11. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

This is such a great read of testimony from a Pennsy suit ... masterful lawyering.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/111821139/Krancer-Letter

12. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

It's a jump ball between Buzz Bissinger and James A. Michener for declaring which one described this condition better.

Draft saved Draft deleted