1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Norman Chad: Pay The Man, Shirley

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by sixthstjoe, Oct 6, 2008.

1. sixthstjoe

sixthstjoe New Member

He still gives his readers bang for their buck (and a quarter).

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/10/05/AR2008100501761.html

I loved Nos. 1, 2, 21 and 23.

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Longtime Chad fan but, dadgummit, I can't get a question published. I'm itching to see if he pays that $1.25 by check or cash. I have no doubt he really does it.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Outstanding column; when Chad is on, there isn't anyone funnier.

4. BujuBanton

BujuBanton Member

I think Norm Chad is the funniest columnist around at the moment. Simmons is funny, but not as consistently.

5. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Years ago, Norman and I spent a couple of nights and mornings at a blackjack and craps table. The man is funny and can hold court with anyone.
    He has the most polished, self deprecating sense of humor of anyone I've ever met.

6. prezclinton

prezclinton Active Member

Slouch is the man. The OJ question is gold.

7. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

Norman Chad is a hero to deskers everywhere.

8. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

A few years ago, Chad was trying to sell his column to other papers. His e-mail said "Pay me what you want or what you can afford." (Or something like that.)

9. satchmo

satchmo Member

As a former sports editor at a tiny, tiny paper, I will say that he sends out those solicitations to damn near everybody and, had my paper been able to cough up money for non-wire columns such as his, I would have done it.

10. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Does nothing for me. I'd rather read Kornheiser any day (maybe because I never see him do football games).

11. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

That was OK, I guess, but a couple of those items would have fit comfortably into the ESPN Magazine's old parody column, "If Larry King wrote for us."

12. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I read his column on the train back NYC back to Trenton two Mondays ago. Funny dude.

Draft saved Draft deleted