1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Nope. Nuh uh. No way in the world.

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Chef2, Jun 15, 2020.

1. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

@Sea Bass, why couldn't you take the same elevator that took you to the top back to the bottom? That sounds very strange, like some "National Treasure" shit.

2. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

I don’t know why they don’t let people take it down. I suppose in an emergency they would. But when we went it just dumped us off at the top and immediately went back down to get more people. Nobody got on at the top.

3. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Not heights, but I visited the Edinburgh castle (very awesome, BTW) and there's one room they let you see that is about the size of a walk-in closet. One way in, one way out. Went in with a couple of people and spent a couple of minutes and tried to leave. In the meantime, a group of Japanese tourists tried to come in. Maybe a dozen of them. Room filled up fast and more were right behind them. I was stuck and my claustrophobia kicked in. Started to panic. By the grace of God, all I needed to do was wave my hand for people to move back and the crowd actually listened. My blood pressure is rising just remembering that. Hate heights and tight spaces. I don't know how I get on planes.

4. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

Apropos of nothing, Edinburgh, Scotland is one of my favorite places on Earth.

Spartan Squad likes this.
  5. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Same for my wife. If we were told we couldn't leave, she would have cried with joy.

6. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

I got short of breath reading that.

7. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Took my oldest to the top of the Gateway Arch a few years ago. Couldn’t turn around without running into someone. We were suitably unimpressed. 630 feet up, and it was meh.

8. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Repair on broadcast antenna atop the World Trade Center in NYC in 1979. The building was 110 stories (1,368 feet) and the antenna was 362 feet. The worker (not wearing a harness or belt) is standing atop the antenna structure. He's over 1,700 feet in the air.

[​IMG]

9. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

As nuts as this picture is, my question: Who the hell took this picture and what were they hanging from?

10. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Somebody posted on here a YouTube video a few years ago showing a repairman having to climb a ladder for an antenna or something that was multiple hundreds of feet in the air. The guy had a harness, but he kept it unclipped while he was climbing because he said it was too tiring to constantly have to clip and unclip the safetey clip every couple of rungs, so he only would clip it if he wanted to take a rest.

Draft saved Draft deleted