1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Non-profits in big trouble

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JayFarrar, Nov 21, 2008.

1. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

http://www.crainsnewyork.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2008811199976

And to think, I thought non-profits were more stable than newspapers.
    Oops...

2. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Stable is not a condition. A corpse can be stable. [/formercityeditorofmine]

3. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

I laughed my ass off when we got the annual United Way sign-up form in our last pay envelope. I had gone 20-for-20 in years signing up for a payroll deduction for UW. Not this year. I've got a kid to put through college.

4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

My last shop had the most heavy-handed United Way drive ever. It ruined me with UW. I'd like to think the organization wouldn't have approved of the way the publisher rubbed it in our noses at every turn and all but called out people by name who didn't either give through straight donations, payroll deductions, bake sales, etc., etc.

5. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

When I worked at Disneyland we actually had to pick up our paycheck from the United Way representative during the drive.

6. Did we work together? Oh, I guess we just had similar experiences. ;D
    Our publisher actually made us turn in the sheet with "no contribution" marked. I guess it was his way of making us feel shame. I'm not a big fan of donating to UW anyway. They do fantastic work, no doubt. But there are other groups who need my money a lot more. Apparently there are more than I thought, judging by Mr. Light's prognosis.

7. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Call me selfish, but I've never given to the UW, for two reasons. One, when I was barely staying off welfare, it just seemed to me my generosity was tied to that of the paper, which was not, uh, generous. I didn't make enough to buy my own house and I was eating 49-cent frozen burritos every other meal because the paper was so flippin cheap. I had bigger concerns than whether the publisher looked good with the United way. Second, and my memory is a little hazy on this, I remember being appalled at a less-than-palatable relationship UW had.

So they can live without me. My charitable contributions take place in other ways that aren't in response to coercion.

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Jeesh, flashbacks from United Way. I've had publishers who were very gung ho, and others who were more laid back about it.
    I never understood what the point of putting extra pressure on employees to contribute was - it's unfortunate because UW ended up being the focus of employees ire instead of managers who are too heavy handed.

9. ScribePharisee

ScribePharisee New Member

You know, it pisses me off to see the "strongarm" tactics that is displayed by this project, using employees to intimidate others in the workplace to give. This year, this "drive" came right after a series of cuts and a salary freeze. Nice timing as always.

And the sick thing is when the company still wants to take the credit for "your/my" donation. Thanks, but I'd rather give on my own by driving by an agency.

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Let us not forget of all the charities, UW is one of the most top heavy... if you must donate, designate a specific charity in advance. Otherwise, you subsidize bloat...

Draft saved Draft deleted