1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Non Political Thread About a Politician -- I Swear

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Aug 18, 2012.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Really fun article about Chuck Schumer:

2. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

This seems like the basis for a really bad rom-com. Who could we get? I'm thinking John Krasinski and Olivia Munn play a pair of new staffers whom Sen. Kevin Spacey works to get together even as Krasinski has a girlfriend he's not happy with and Munn is certain she has no time for a man while advancing her career.

3. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

I love the idea that even male Jewish senators can be Jewish mothers.

4. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

As someone who worked in a place where several relationships/marriages happened (including mine), this is kinda fun.

I can remember my now-wife and I walking into the editor's office, stating we were together and it was getting pretty serious. At the time, the company had a "no spouses" policy and the EIC did everything he could to keep his people from leaving, so my wife was pretty worried that he'd blow his stack at us. Instead, he says "frankly, I don't give a $#!+" and we went on our merry way.

Shortly after that conversation, the nepotism policy was changed to allow people who were already working when they got married to work together.

5. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Maybe we get Jeff Goldblum instead of Kevin Spacey. That movie definitely would be funnier.

6. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Schumi's just setting himself for an HR lawsuit.

At least, he would be if he worked in California.

[/Been There, Done That]

7. Amy

Amy Well-Known Member

I think I read something a very long time ago that former Senator Joe Lieberman was an active matchmaker and hosted events for Jewish singles in Washington.

correction: What with all those Jewish senators, esp from states where I've lived, it is so easy to get confused. It was the former R senator from Minnesota, Rudy Boschwitz, who was the matchmaker - http://www.nytimes.com/1987/10/02/us/washington-talk-briefing-the-matchmaker.html

8. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

We had an political fundraiser at my company a few years back and I was roped into buying tickets for my wife and I. Chuck was there early and we talked to him for about 30 minutes.

I told him that he gave the speech at my grade school graduation in 1981 when he was an assemblyman and he remembered the name of the principal and vice-principal.

But he wanted to talk more than anything about how my wife and I met and he and my wife bonded over how much they each loved setting singles up.

So the NYT story made me smile.

9. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Actually, it's pretty weird. Is he making hires on the basis of how he perceives their stud potential? Sounds like a big lawsuit brewing down the road.

Reminds me a lot of the scene at the beginning of "The Firm" where they're trying to recruit Mitch at the big barbecue cookout, and Lamar's wife calls Abby into the bathroom for some "girl-talk" and she says, "The firm encourages children."

"Oh really? And how do they do that?"

10. Zeke12

Zeke12 Guest

Boschwitz, of course, being from Minnesota, was replaced by another Jewish senator, Paul Wellstone, and after a brief dalliance with a Republican Jewish senator -- Norm Coleman -- Minnesota sent another Jewish man -- Al Franken -- to continue the tradition.

11. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

I had never realized one of the lost tribes ended up in Minnesota.

12. Zeke12

Zeke12 Guest

State's population is one percent Jewish, FWIW.

Draft saved Draft deleted