1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Non-Christmas songs you always associate with the holidays

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Johnny Dangerously, Dec 20, 2006.

1. DyePack

DyePack New Member

"I Remember You" by Skid Row used to be on about 2 million times around the holidays.

This time of year I start to hear a lot of classic rock because I can no longer tolerate hearing the same Xmas songs again and again. So the classic rock stations get selected more often.

Gradually more of the stations play only Xmas music. One year on Xmas Eve, the choices were screaming metal, a lameass blowout college bowl game or 256 Xmas music stations. I chose the bowl game.

2. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

'Mickey' by Toni Basil

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

You're probably right, but that song always reminds me of January and February 1990.

That and "I Wish It Would Rain Down" and "I Go to Extremes."

4. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Let's cut the number.

5. Double J

Double J Active Member

"If We Make It Through December" by Merle Haggard.

6. DyePack

DyePack New Member

"Same Auld Lang Syne" by Dan Fogelberg.

7. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Better Be Home Soon, a seldom-heard song by the McCarters (country and western). I heard it while celebrating my first-ever Christmas away from home in 1990 during Operation Desert Storm.

8. DyePack

DyePack New Member

I also think of one of the montages from Rocky IV. That movie came out around Xmas.

Plus, I knew I was getting a new computer game, so I had to finish the old one. On Xmas Eve, I gathered tapes and food and hunkered down for hours.

9. Lamar Mundane

Lamar Mundane Member

Today was a good day - Ice Cube

Devil went down to Georgia.

10. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

Wow. You people have some great memories. The only song that comes to mind is Tuesday's Gone. I was pretty bummed when Happy Gilmore came at during the holidays, and my friends really cheered me up by taking me to see Sandler in that one. It was a heart-warming movie, and I always think of that Christmas when I hear Tuesday's Gone, which is the closing song of the movie.

11. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

I second that one, probably because the first time I heard it was when I was home for Christmas break in my freshman year at college.

12. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

I've heard Foreigner’s "Cold As Ice" three times since coming in today. Then again, I got here at 6 this morning.

Damn classic rock stations. :mad:

Draft saved Draft deleted