1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Non-Christmas songs you always associate with the holidays

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Johnny Dangerously, Dec 20, 2006.

1. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

For some reason, my hometown radio stations always played Todd Rundgren's "Hello It's Me" around Christmas. I never heard it any other time of the year, and now when I hear it (which is rarely) I think of the holidays. Are there any songs like that for you?

2. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

"Life In A Northern Town" by Dream Academy. I can hear it in the middle of July and it always reminds me of winter - specifically the Christmas season.

3. Buffalo Gals (Won't You Come Out Tonight.)
    Greensleeves.

4. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

I've heard Nick Drake wrote that, but I never heard a recording of him performing it.

For me, it's Bowie's "Aladdin Sane" album. Obviously not Christmasy, but I associate it with the Christmas break during my freshman year of college. My best friend from back home and I smoked insane amounts of weed one weekend and listened to that one over and over again as we stonedly went about our merry ways. Surprisingly, I remember that time well.

5. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I remember seeing the Black Sabbath Mob Rules album cover in a record store display when I was a kid during Christmas and it scared the hell out of me.

6. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

I remember headbanger dudes in high school having that t-shirt. Yeah, creepy humanoids with no faces. Hell of a choice for a Christmas display. Although I guess there's a resemblance to the Ghost of Christmas Future in Dickens.

7. D-Backs Hack

D-Backs Hack Guest

"What A Wonderful World," Louis Armstrong

8. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Agreed.

9. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

"Sweet Baby James"

"The first of December was covered with snow,
    and so was the turnpike from Stockbridge to Boston,
    Tho the Berkshires seemed dreamlike on account of that frosting,
    10 miles behind us, 10,000 more to go ... "

10. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I married me a wife
    She's been trouble all my life
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow

11. BYH

BYH Active Member

Songs that came out around Christmas always remind me of Christmas no matter when I hear them.

For instance, "I Will Always Love You" by Whitney Houston reminds me of the winter of '92, when I wanted to slit my wrists every time I heard the song because it reminded me of the love who'd broken my heart. Now, I just want to slit my wrists BECAUSE THE SONG SUCKS.

12. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

"A Long December" by Counting Crows, but not so much these days.

Draft saved Draft deleted