1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Nolan Ryan at APSE meeting talks about Clemens, steroids, Bonds-Aaron

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Claws for Concern, May 15, 2007.

1. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

I'm not talking baseball. I'm talking a very rational hatred of an evil team.

Continue.

2. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

At this point, I think it's fair to say that with the massive Dominican influx and the Asian wave of pitchers, that the talent pool is about as deep as it was, say, 20 years ago.

3. pallister

pallister Guest

Better evil than Cleveland.

4. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

Perhaps somewhat now. But during the 90s?

5. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Clemens' worst years were in the years following the 1993 wave of expansion.

6. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

The thing is this: There were so many factors at play when it comes to home run records in the 1990s; smaller parks, Coors Field, watered down pitching, a more tightly wound baseball, steroids, HGH, expansion, smaller strikezone. Who is to say which factor contribute to what percentage of increase in long balls?

7. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Nolan Ryan has many impressive records and accomplishments, but I think this is one of my favorites:

His single-season record of 383 strikeouts, one more than his idol, Sandy Koufax, came in the first year of the DH.

8. Claws for Concern

He also has 12 one-hitters.

9. Big Chee

Big Chee Active Member

I agree. I feel the same way about the NBA and the 90's.

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

Ventura never really regretted going after Ryan though. He'd been throwing at the ChiSox all year and Ventura felt someone had to do something. Though you can see in Ventura's final steps to the mound that he's like "Shit, this is not a good idea."

One of the real good guys in baseball though, no doubt. Good luck finding a teammate with anything bad to say about him. Tough as shit too. Could barely walk in 1999, never complained and still hit that grand slam single to beat the Braves (alas, that's about all he did during the NLCS).

Threebags, who is High Highness?

11. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Yeah, BYH, I don't think he ever said he regretted the decision, just that he deserved what he got, including the ribbing that I'm sure he still takes to this day.

12. Claws for Concern

Anyone out there have an autographed photo of him and Ryan signed by BOTH guys?

Draft saved Draft deleted