1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Noise-cancelling headphones? Recommendations?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by spaceman, Aug 3, 2009.

1. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

Any recommendations on noise-cancelling headphones? Not sure if this has been covered on a previous thread. If so, my apologies.

Do any of you use them on the road? On planes? Do they work? Are they worth the investment? Are the Bose 'phones the best? They're kinda expensive. Are some of the less expensive ones also good? Or is it a case of you get what you pay for?

Thanks, I'll hang up and listen.

2. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

I just listen to Pantera really loud and that cancels out all other noise.

3. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

good tip, YGB...

4. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I just bought a pair off woot, but I don't even know what brand. They come with three sizes of earbuds so you can pick the one that fits your ear best. I just wore them for the first time at the gym, and they were great. I couldn't hear the music being pumped over the speakers at all, and because they're buds, they're super portable.

I'll figure out what brand they are. So basically this post meant nothing. Sorry. :(

5. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

Depends how much you want to spend. Sony makes a good pair for cheaper, but if you want to spend some money, get Bose.

6. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Space - I have the Bose and from my research nothing compares. They work great when flying. I like to wear them at office so my employees don't bother me.

Negative is that they are a bit large and you need to be sure you carry extra batteries.

Here is a review from CNET:

http://cnet.nytimes.com/headphones/bose-quietcomfort-3/4505-7877_7-31929466.html

7. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Shure E2 buds are great but don't know if they're considered "noise cancelling." I hear nothing else, though.

8. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Is a link possible? Or has the item been taken down or whatever? I like that you have choices in size. The iPod ear buds I have are too big for my ears. Hurts like hell after about 10 or 15 minutes.

9. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Here's the link to the blog about it. Obviously can't buy them on Woot right now, but you at least know the name.

Most ear buds you buy anyplace come with the three sizes of pad things.

http://www.woot.com/Blog/ViewEntry.aspx?Id=8764

10. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

thanks for the advice, all. I think i know what I need to do now.

11. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Holy crap! I found the company's site, and they sell for a cool $39.99.

How much did you pay for yours?

12. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Bose was among the first, or certainly advertised its line of noise-cancelling headphones the most.

Sony claims they've been doing a lot of work on this front.

IIRC, Sennheiser - a superb brand not as well known in the states, has been working on its line, too.

Draft saved Draft deleted