1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Nobody's talking about Coach K

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Football_Bat, Aug 25, 2008.

1. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

You didn't quote the other part of Missou's post. Have an agenda you want to share?

2. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

I'm just curious why some people perceive him to be an ***.
    I can look at the titles to see why they perceive him as a great coach.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Because he is one.

4. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Riveting stuff there, Mizzou. :D

5. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Because in interactions with the media, he can be an ass. It's easy to see that he has plenty of friends and is generous with his time and money to good causes, but when most of what you get is the belittling and the short shrift, then it's not the greatest motivation to endorse his character.

6. bagelchick

bagelchick Active Member

I know people either love him or hate him, but I was genuinely touched by his show of emotion when the team won.
    I also thought the pic of him wearing everyone's gold medals was great.

I would expect we'll hear that one of them gave him their medal....why coaches don't get them is strange to me.

7. Mizzougrad96

The thing about Coach K is that the national media almost never portrays Coach K the way he actually is. He's not as bad as Bob Knight, but he's not that far off. The difference is, Coach K is smart enough to know when to turn it on and off so the national guys think he's the nicest guy in the world, while his beat writers know he's an insufferable prick.

He is a great coach though... Nobody would ever even try to deny him that...

8. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

The same goes for many, many coaches and many, many athletes. Not that uncommon.

9. Mizzougrad96

True, but rarely is the national perception as far off as the local perception as it is with Coach K.

10. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Those beat writers have no idea how bad it can be.
    They want to see insufferable, tell 'em to try covering the sainted Joe Paterno.
    Krzyzewski allows his players and coaches to talk, and nobody gives writers more insight in a postgame press conference than he does. He doesn't spend much time with locals because he doesn't need to; he rarely recruits locally. But he doesn't interfere with them covering the team, as many others do.

11. BYH

BYH Active Member

Good. Let's keep it that way. cause otherwise we'd have to mention 1989 and 1999 and 2002 and 2004, and really, that's only the start.

12. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Good piece on Chris Bosh in today's Globe. Bosh epitomized the team player under Coach K.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/LAC.20080825.OLYHOOPS25//TPStory/Sports

"I know I can score the basketball, but that wasn't my duty," Bosh said. "I had to realize that as a basketball player and do everything I could to affect the game some way. If they threw me a bone, I'd take it."

The U.S. team needed unselfish players who did odd jobs, and that was Bosh.

He rebounded. He motivated. He played defence, especially against the international pick-and-roll, which so wounded the Americans four years ago in Athens, when the great basketball power slumped to bronze. He stayed active on offence, always presenting himself as a threat, even if he didn't always get the ball.

Draft saved Draft deleted