1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Nobody's posted this yet? Whitlock on Kornheiser?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SF_Express, Sep 8, 2006.

1. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

2. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Not bad, but why should the average reader care?

Newspapers are going to keep bleeding circulation if they don't start writing about things that affect readers. This ain't it.

3. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

I thought he did a nice job, but as I noted elsewhere, can you imagine Jimmy Cannon writing about Red Smith (unless Red died or retired)?

Still, I think it's more a function of the way the business has changed than any kind of misstep by JW. Because, DyePack, the third "non-athlete" guy in the booth is still of interest to a lot of American readers. So I can't agree with you.

4. While not a big Whitlock fan, I was watching PTI last night and he certainly is easier to digest when he's on with Kornheiser as opposed to Le Bastard.
    And hey, TK is the reason why I got in the business. I hope ESPN doesn't screw it up.

5. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Of interest to this level, though? I think not.

6. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

If Whitlock wrote about media types all the time, I could see the criticism. Once in a while, no problem, especially about someone on the national stage. A lot of newspapers run weekly sports TV columns, something I disagree with, but they run them and have for years. Whitlock writes a stray column about a guy on TV and it's wrong?

7. DyePack

DyePack New Member

You take Whitlock's column and throw it on the pile of all the columns about media types. Even if it's at the top, it's on a pretty big pile.

8. Stupid

Stupid Member

that column was longer than your average shit which means it was too long.

9. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

C'mon, I think people care about the MNF announcers. A piece on Al Michaels wouldn't fall in the "who cares" category.

Yeah, Kornheiser was once a sportswriter, but he's a sports media celebrity now. People care.

10. Yes people do care. My wife could give a crap about MNF, but she was very excited to hear that TK was joining the booth. Now at least I can get her to stay up until halftime!

11. Montezuma's Revenge

Montezuma's Revenge Active Member

Wow, sign me up to work with you. ::) Why do so many people in this business hate reading? People still go to bookstores and read actual books, yet we run the business as if people are too effing stupid and have too little attention span to spend five minutes reading something. We've spent so much time putting together a product that skews to people who don't like to read that, voila, we have little that's worth reading.

12. Stupid

Stupid Member

Because if I want to read a book, I'll read a book (and I read A LOT). But a column (or just about anything in a newspaper) doesn't need to be 30" unless it's compelling and that one wasn't.

I don't know about you, Zuma, but my time is valuable and I'd rather not waste it consuming extraneous words.

Draft saved Draft deleted