1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

No, you CAN'T root in the damn press box

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by jr/shotglass, Sep 4, 2023.

1. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Those who think glitz-glam-fit is important won’t care about things like numbers or mathing.

Liut and MileHigh like this.
  2. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

At the same time,is it wrong to like these announcements from the local NBC/ABC affiliate?

3. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I feel like that's kind of the TV ethos, like the local anchors are your extended family so let 'em into your lives while in the office, i.e., on the air. I don't mean that in a derogatory way. But it's truly amazing, I see it on Facebook especially, a local anchor in my area has a birthday or some kind of milestone and a couple thousand older folks chime in with well-wishes. You know, the people who truly think Chief Meteorologist Angela at 11 p.m. has the pull to not make it rain this weekend.

maumann, SFIND, SixToe and 1 other person like this.
  4. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

I get it but don't get it, if that makes sense. Like playthrough said, the TV people have always been "part of your family." They told viewers about Sue's breast cancer journey and Mikkaleay helping at the puppy shelter and Weatherman Steve's garden doing well with his forecast.

All that was marketing crapola started 40-50 years ago to make them seem less hard-edged Murrow and more local fluffy family-friendly. It worked. Now, it's taken on a new life with social media and the "fit" photos BS.

maumann, SFIND, Liut and 1 other person like this.
  5. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

We have a young woman in our market who was very public, on the air, about her situation when, because of a genetic marker and family history, she decided to have a complete mastectomy. Explained why she'll be off the air for 6 weeks or whatever, and seemed to be pretty candid about it.

I thought it was incredibly cringy to be public about something that personal. But it's her decision, and I'm sure the response was positive from the majority of viewers.

Liut likes this.
  6. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

As they say, the bigger the hoop earrings, the deeper the cray. And I believe 'em.

SixToe and MileHigh like this.
  7. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Gameday Fits is the next big Irish band.

DanielSimpsonDay likes this.
  8. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Do you live in Nashville or has this happened more than once?

9. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

Not Nashville, so apparently more than once.

TigerVols likes this.
  10. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I think there’s a difference in “I’m sharing details of my personal life” and “I’m openly fawning over a celebrity/athlete/politician I’m supposed to be covering objectively.”

Liut, SFIND, Dog8Cats and 5 others like this.
  11. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Me either. Maybe I’m just old.

12. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

Was in the media room watching OT in Game 7 between the Blackhawks and Red Wings in Chicago in 2013. When the Blackhawks scored to win, the Chicago media started cheering wildly. I wanted to cheer to avoid a trip to LA but I restrained myself!

Draft saved Draft deleted