1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

No, you CAN'T root in the damn press box

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by jr/shotglass, Sep 4, 2023.

1. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

In the whole scheme of life, I frankly could give a shit less.

2. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

To the extent that local TV sports personalities misbehave or trivialize themselves, it makes my job harder.*

* I'll add here that jackassing it at a press conference a la Gregg Doyel is another version of the same problem.

Last edited: May 20, 2024
  3. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

I was rude with my response and apologize. Peace.

4. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

I don't think anger is appropriate but how about eye rolls?

5. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Derision works, too.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  6. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I had never heard of the term "fit" as shorthand for "outfit."

Tarheel316 and SixToe like this.
  7. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Probably missed the “drip” era altogether.

SixToe, PaperClip529 and MeanGreenATO like this.
  8. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

9. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

As it pertains to style, absolutely.

In the drip era I grew up in (1960s and 1970s), it was slang for someone who was boring or dull, and was associated with the "hep cats" of the Beat generation. For example, "The professor is such a drip that I fell asleep in class."

10. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

At least she looks professional, or most of the time she does, with attire that isn't slovenly.

It's at least far better to see someone making an effort than wearing an untucked, stretched-out golf shirt and nasty khakis, or sweatpants and a polo with holes in it in the pressbox. Make the damned effort to look professional and decent if you consider yourself a professional.

That said, the "Look at meeeeeee" posts about the "fit" are unnecessary to her job, or anyone's job. Cover the game, do the work, and shut the hell up about your kicks or fits or how your goodies look on the dirt road in the corn field. It doesn't matter.

Woody Long likes this.
  11. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

But it does matter.

There’s an audience for that. Its not my flavor of ice cream but denying that an audience for bombast and look at me stuff exists is folly.

I also say feel free to derride and make fun of that style of reportage and social media. But be aware that it works and those that wield it well will be frustratingly popular and successful

MNgremlin likes this.
  12. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

She's also bad at math. Avs lost on Friday, the Nuggets on Sunday, so that would be 48 hours.

Draft saved Draft deleted