1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

No wonder it took me so long to get laid: I listened to Sister Christian

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by BYH, Aug 7, 2006.

1. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

That would 'splain some things

2. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

The sci-fi nasties to whom you refer are actually Cylons.

Don't mind me ... I'll just be in my little corner.

3. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Hey, I listen to Rush, and I have four kids! Of course, I married a Catholic, so that might counterbalance the Rush thing.

Speaking of Rush, I found the following items when researching a freelance piece I did on the band:

-- Geddy Lee's son, Julian Weinrib, pitched for the University of Toronto Varsity (that's the nickname, I believe) in the early aughts. Looked like he was mostly relief, with some spot starting.

-- Geddy Lee's wife (of 30 years) is the sister of Lindy Young, the guy who kicked Lee out of an early, early version of Rush. I wonder if that still comes up at family gatherings. "Me? Well, I just finished mixing the CD/DVD of our sold-out tour of Brazil. So, Lindy, how are things at the car wash these days?"

4. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Then he retorts, "Hey done any raps lately, gangsta-boy? Roll The Bones redefined the genre."

Then Aimee Mann walks in out of nowhere and goes, "Time stand still."

5. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

U of T's sports team are called the Blues - or sometimes the Varsity Blues. I had no idea U of T even had a baseball program. Lee is a big baseball fan and you can often see him in the seats behind the plate at Jays games. The back of Rush's Signals album was full of Expos references.

Speaking of musicians from Lee's past wonder whatever became of original Rush drummer John Rutsey?

6. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

The best that I could find was that Rutsey, at least for a time, competed in bodybuilding contests around Toronto. Lifeson has said Rutsey never seemed to be bothered by Rush's success after he left. Or was kicked out, depending on the story. Either way, it is generally agreed that Rutsey's diabetes hindered his ability to tour (a problem for a band that never stopped touring for about 10 years) and had creative differences -- he wanted to be Bad Company, Lee and Lifeson didn't. By the way, the name Rush came from Rutsey's brother, back when Lee wasn't even in the band yet.

7. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Rush's debut (the only album with Rutsey) was OK. Good stuff like "In The Mood" and "Working man" but it was basic blues/rock that was no different than loads of bands at that time. The departure of Rutsey and arrival of Peart opened up the band's sound both musically and lyrically.

8. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Yeah, Rutsey is the Wally Pipp of music.

9. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Pete Best might qualify here too.

10. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Well, I figure Rutsey gets Pipp'd because his health really was a factor. Pete Best just sucked.

11. BYH

BYH Active Member

There was a Rush special on BYH Classic recently and Geddy and Alex said the ex-drummer had no problem at all knowing he'd left one of the most successful rock bands of all-time. Whether it was health-related or not, touring just wasn't for him.

Then Alex and his son beat the living crap out of Eddie Trunk. It was weird. :D

12. Jones

Jones Active Member

Well fuck Dirk Benedict in the chin dimple, goddammit.

Draft saved Draft deleted