1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

No water in the press tent

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by James307, Jun 2, 2008.

1. James307

James307 Member

Oh, that guy . . . ladies' man, eh? LOL.

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

No, the OTHER guy from Richmond. I spent my 10th anniversary covering that daggone tour.

3. James307

James307 Member

Now I got it.
    As for me, still covering a lot of cycling, usually three races a years, sometimes four. Not too many still on the beat from then..

4. WoodyWommack

WoodyWommack Member

The NBA Pre-Draft Camp in Orlando had no food for media (except on Thursday when the Internet was down for 5 hours, when we each got a cookie) and most of the time didn't even have water. The event was at Disney's Wide World of Sports, which is usually great at taking care of the media, but not this time. The scouts and g.m.'s at the event had breakfast, lunch, drinks and snacks but the minimum wage Disney employee's made sure to keep the media away. It wouldn't have been that big of a deal, but most of us were stuck there for 12 hours each day.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I just spit water on my laptop...

6. Moderator1

Sorry to burst your bubble, slaps. He was thinking of someone else and there's a backstory.

7. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

Well?? Spill it! ;)

8. Moderator1

The story doesn't involve me, it involves the other guy from Richmond. Not my story to spill.

9. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Nowadays, if you did that your publisher would go "motherf*(#" and cut about 500 jobs to replace that $70. But those were good times. :)

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Glad and sad to hear that at the same time... would have loved to know The Queen's reaction to ladies' man...

11. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

No to burst any bubbles, but if you know you're going to be at an event all day and aren't sure there's going to be food or water, shouldn't you bring some yourself?
    I get annoyed at this stuff as much as anyone, but I don't really think it's the hosts job to provide food; they can if they want, but if you didn't come ready, that's sort of on you.

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I covered the gymnastics Olympic trials back in 1996 which was an all-day event and there was nothing to eat or drink in the press room.

I just bought myself stuff at the concession stand, no big deal.

During the event, a very well-known female columnist, had a meltdown at one of the PR people. She said, "I know the gymnasts don't eat, but I do..."

Draft saved Draft deleted