1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

No thread on Steve McNair's retirement?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BYH, Apr 18, 2008.

1. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Beat me to it. And because I'm biased, the Lynn Swann catch.

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

:D :D :D

3. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Plain and simple, McNair didn't live in the gym in-season or care much for off-season workouts or put in the playbook time you'd expect of a top-shelf NFL QB.

4. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Because you're forcing me to do it, BYH ... George Mason!

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

I wish he would have written that instead of hinting around the issue. Either say the guy didn't work hard or don't. Don't qualify it or get mysterious about it or couch it in talk of what a great guy he was.

And Oz, I never thought you were a kick-in-the-groin kinda guy. I guess I was wrong. Even with the Larry Brown comment, there was no reason for you to hurt me like that. :D :D :D

6. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I hear you, Manning's escape was mighty impressive, but McNair's was better.

After his escape, Manning basically had a prayer down the field answered by Tyree. It was a Favrian wing-and-a-prayer toss that could just as easily been an interception. It worked out for the Giants, though, and rightfully will go down in history.

McNair's completion was still rates higher in my mind. His throw was spot-on, it wasn't a prayer by any means. He wasn't in desperation mode as much as Manning was when he threw his pass, he kept his head in the play despite the fact the play should have been dead to rights several times over.

Just a tad more impressive to me, even if, as you said, it ultimately didn't mean as much given that the Titans lost.

7. Kar33mSkyhook

Kar33mSkyhook Member

He should have retired in Tennessee. He had a good career though.

8. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

Don Banks had an interesting read on the subject:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/don_banks/04/18/mcnair/index.html

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Good column... Banks is always a great read...

10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Like Earl Campell (HoF, first ballot, rightly so), McNair was a terrific player whose style carried the seeds of his destruction. Quarterbacks cannot get hit like he did without missing games.
    Not saying McNair was anywhere as good as Campbell, or a Hall of Famer-just noting the similarity. He paid a lot for those Titans' wins.

11. beerme19

beerme19 New Member

McNair and Favre are two of the toughest QB's ever and they're both from Mississippi. McNair was fun to watch. Great story of where he came from in Mississippi to become one of the elite QB's in the NFL. On a side note, he can absolutely crush a softball.

Draft saved Draft deleted