1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

No raises at McClatchy

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Aug 14, 2008.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

From The Pipeline:

I work at a McClatchy shop, and we got a letter today stating that McClatchy was freezing wages companywide for a year starting Sept. 1.

2. Dickens Cider

Dickens Cider New Member

Does that include upper management and corporate officers? ::)

3. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

They allegedly haven't gotten raises for two years though, DC.

Fuck 'em. This explains why they've been putting off everybody's reviews.

4. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

I left a McC shop last year, and while raises weren't frozen, they weren't exactly steep. At our shop, they were capped at 3 %. One year, my raise was 2 %, and was told it was one of the better raises in the section (one person, I was told, was given the full 3 %).

All I'm saying is this is more of a moral thing than an actual one. Most people at most McC papes have been complaining about raises for a while.

5. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

At this point I would just like to make it to my next review, let alone worry about a raise.

6. BigSleeper

BigSleeper Active Member

WFW.

7. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

A bad situation -- one which the current bad-and-getting-worse inflation robbery exacerbates.

8. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

And just think, Ben, at least one McClatchy paper cut hours earlier this year as well.

9. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

They may not be grabbing people by the scruff of the neck and throwing them out . . . but they're showing people the door, in a subtle way.

Stay and be abused -- or save yourselves.

10. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Exactly.
    The raise turned out to be virtually nothing (approximately $50) after my apartment rent increase. Getting a $50 raise -- for the year, not month, week, etc.) is pretty bad.
    But right now, it's a buyer's market.

11. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

It would be a buyer's market, if only papers were buying from the growing pool of displaced journos.

12. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

It's made the wires.

McClatchy institutes company-wide pay freeze
    LOS ANGELES (AP) — McClatchy Co., the second-largest U.S. newspaper publisher, is freezing pay across the company for a year starting Sept. 1 in the latest effort to hold down costs.
    The company informed its employees about the pay freeze Thursday.
    McClatchy has some 13,000 full-time equivalent employees at 30 daily papers such as The Sacramento Bee and The Miami Herald, as well as about 50 non-dailies.
    Elaine Lintecum, the company’s treasurer, said the cost-control measure was undertaken “in light of our very difficult advertising revenue environment.” She did not say how much money the move would save.
    In June, McClatchy announced it was trimming its work force by about 10 percent, affecting 1,400 full-time jobs and saving $70 million a year.
    Last month, the company reported a 44 percent drop in second-quarter earnings to $19.7 million, as revenue fell 16 percent to $489.7 million.
    McClatchy shares rose 10 cents, or 2.6 percent, to close at $4 on Thursday.

Draft saved Draft deleted