1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

No one tells Tiger what to do

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Dec 23, 2011.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Just loaded it onto my Kindle the other day - and I can't remember what is called. One on one? Let me go look - yeah, that's it

http://www.amazon.com/One-Behind-Scenes-Greats-Game/dp/0316079049/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1324674477&sr=8-1

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Wow, that seems pretty under the radar for one of Feinstein's books.

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Agree. I heard nothing about it advance - really rare. Was in a bookstore and there it was - so I did what I do a lot lately, texted the title to myself and Kindled it up upon returning home.

Every now and then I do buy an actual book, by the way. Every trip to the bookstore isn't a Kindle load mission. Just most.

Going to a bookstore shortly. Will probably buy a sweatshirt. Then going to a chain joint for dinner.

4. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Feinstein has been on the radio the last couple weeks pushing his book, at least here in the DC market. He's no doubt a great writer, but christ. Dude's ego is out of control. Yeah, we get it, John. You have had better access than anyone in the history of journalism. YOU SET THE STANDARD, SIR!!! We heard you the 834,383,019,346,653rd time you told us.

And he's NEVER backed away from an opportunity to tell you just how much of an asshole Tiger Woods is.

I bet Feinstein has trouble finding hats that fit.

5. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I've read every Feinstein book I believe and whatever the ego, I have always felt like there was substance to the story that he was telling. Even his book about the tennis tour was fascinating. Of course nothing beats reading about how Alford was Bobby Knight's whipping boy and marveling at how despite that Alford still became an All-America who won an NCAA title.

6. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

This. Feinstein hasn't been shit for a decade. He's lazy and full of himself. He might be the worst sports writer on the Post staff.

7. Sorry, Verse, you couldn't be more wrong. You might not like his work or him, but the one thing Feinstein is not is lazy.

8. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I'm not going to go any further but to say that yes, he's definitely lazy in many of his columns. Maybe not his books.

9. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

I agree about the ego and annoyance coming through, but I enjoyed reading the excerpt and learning some of the behind-the-scenes stuff. Unsure if I'll buy the book, though.

10. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

When a writer observes an athlete and says "who the hell does he think he is?", I'm prone to wonder the same thing about the writer. I don't care if he was covering golf for the Times of London when St. Andrews was founded, he simply doesn't have the right to ask that question.

11. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

I disagree. I don't know how much time Feinstein spent covering Palmer and Nicklaus in their prime (probably not too much), but both were considered the epitome of class. Then Tiger came along and was insufferable before he earned his first dollar. A lot of writers asked the question, if not publicly, at least amongst themselves.

12. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

I get that, but here's my thinking: It's assuming a position of judgement, and as entitled as Tiger's behavior might indicate he is, that statement from Feinstein indicated a certain amount of entitlement thinking, too.

Draft saved Draft deleted