1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

No one tells Tiger what to do

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Dec 23, 2011.

1. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

2. Oh there's no doubt about his dislike for Earl Woods.
    The excerpt discusses a time when he was doing to introduce himself to Earl and was recommended not to do it.

3. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

Man, that's some good stuff. Gotta read that book.

4. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

Tiger didn't play basketball for Duke or football for a service academy.

He's screwed for this book...

5. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Realizing it's just an excerpt, but is this about Tiger or Feinstein's annoyance that they never became buddies? Doesn't seem particularly stunning that the Woods crew wasn't cooperative with media.

6. rmanfredi

rmanfredi Active Member

I think the excerpt speaks to the sense of entitlement that Tiger Woods has had from a very young age, and how no one ever really called him on it. Going back to how he acted before he won his first US Amateur on, if a kid is treated like royalty and that he can do what he wants when he wants with no repercussions, what kind of treatment is going going to expect one he becomes the biggest sports icon on the planet?

7. I took it as Feinstein's annoyance. As well as a matter of pride that he took no shit from Team Fucking Tiger.
    The excerpt really seemed more about Feinstein - and his attitude toward Team Tiger - than Woods.
    And based on that I'll pass on the book.

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Woods hasn't been "cooperative" with the media since the Pierce interview all those years ago. Since then, it's basically press conferences and the the writers who he considers in his "inner circle" or the handful of writers he likes.

At the one Masters I covered, you would hear about how Woods trusted Doug Ferguson and some guy from the Golf Channel or Golf Digest whose name I can't remember, and that was really it, although there were a handful of others who he did OK with.

9. Mizzougrad96

I found the excerpt very interesting.

My guess is that members (and former members) of the media would find that excerpt a lot more interesting than someone who doesn't understand the politics that are sometimes behind getting an interview with someone who is on the level of Woods.

Feinstein has a healthy ego and that's obvious in the excerpt. That said, I can't wait to read the book.

10. 21

21 Well-Known Member

FYI, pretty sure the book isn't about Tiger. It's a collection of 'behind the scenes' stories about various sports legends, I believe.

11. Mizzougrad96

That sounds like it would be great.

Draft saved Draft deleted