1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

No more reader comments

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by greenlantern, Oct 15, 2009.

1. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Force readers to pay a $5/month for the ability to comment.

2. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Outing alert: Sporting_guista is dickfitzwell/ihatedemocrats/republicanssuck69/fuckcommiereporters/anonymous/startribunehaterguy/ladyinred/Mark/anonymous/gohomeimmigrants/theydeservedit/lakersaretrash/obamasmuslim/mauer4ever/gargoyle666.

3. Fuck you

4. No wonder so many have complained about this place as no longer being a free flow of ideas and discussion journalism

5. Right, like I said above, force them to register and moderate comments.
    And yes, it has everything to do with the times. I'm not even going to descend into the cesspool of dung that this the conversation of newspapers going out of business, blah blah blah.

6. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Jesus, buddy, it was a joke. I wasn't inhibiting your free flow of ideas and I'm not sure what the answer is for online comments and some days I completely agree with your perspective.

But your first comment does, at least, fit in with the theme of newspaper comments.

7. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Problem is, once you start moderating, you make yourself responsible for anything that gets posted.

If you don't moderate at all, you can at least claim that, hey, we didn't libel you because we don't moderate comments. Someone else libeled you. (I don't think that claim would hold up, but that's not the point.)

Once you start moderating, you become the arbiter of what is and isn't libelous. If you let something through, it's on you, not the commenter.

8. I think your logic is flawed. Stories are edited so there's nothing libelous that slips through. You are responsible for ALL content, comments included. The ability to comment isn't a God-given right; it's your space, you manage it.

9. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

You are now asking newspapers to commit an awful lot of time for virtually no gain.

10. Seems to me you're over-thinking this. I mean, how many comments are you going to actually have to put out to an internal vote for a thumbs up, thumbs down? Again, ignore/downplay the Web at your own peril. Let the flames begin.

11. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

No. 1, you still have to read them all.

No. 2, have you actually worked at a paper and read some of the shit that comes through? It's a playground for the flagrantly racist and the willfully ignorant.

12. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Your first post in this thread accused us all of being "thick-headed." That might have something to do with the tone of the reaction you get.

Draft saved Draft deleted