1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

No more reader comments

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by greenlantern, Oct 15, 2009.

1. greenlantern

greenlantern Guest

Out Web guy has disabled the option of readers commenting on stories. It's due to "a few insensitive individuals that post off topic and rude comments on our articles." This is like an early Christmas gift.

2. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

YOUR VIOLATING OUR FIRST AMENDMENT RIGHTS!!! [/moronic readers who don't know how to interpret the First Amendment as well as the proper use of your/you're]

3. Den1983

Den1983 Active Member

Yup, and the hits don't drop off as much as you think. The headaches do, though.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Just a few?

5. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Story comments are good for leads and news tips in smaller communities. But other than that, they are pure evil.

6. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

No, they're not. Story comments on papers in smaller communities are even more evil.

Coincidentally, I had a conversation today with the high school athletic director and a police officer who both wondered why we can't stop having them. Telling them that it's our mother ship that makes the decision and not us wasn't good enough for them.

7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Whatever happened to getting leads and news tips by utilizing late-night visits to parking garages?

8. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Or hanging out at the police or fire station, or in Clancy's Bar until 2 a.m.?

9. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I still do that. But oddly, I don't remember the leads the next day.

10. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

I knew it!

11. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I would actually go someplace called "Clancy's Bar."

Sadly, I go with Sully's. Also sadly, the $3 draft happy hour is outdoors, I think, which means its time has passed for me.

12. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

You know where you can have $3 happy hours outdoors for the next few months? :D

Draft saved Draft deleted