1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

No more Pro Bowl?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MisterCreosote, Feb 6, 2012.

1. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Maybe you do a rookie All-Star game? Top rookies at each position get a chance to play against each other in a contest? Teams with Cam Newton and Andy Dalton at QB wouldn't have been bad under this format.

I think Goodell would be a dunce if he threw away the concept of an All-Star game.

2. spurtswriter

spurtswriter Member

Give it to London and keep Super Bowl 50 here.

3. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

I get the sense that if this commissioner had his way, every game would be played with the defensive listlessness of the Pro Bowl.

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Boot the linemen out and make it like those high school seven-on-seven summer leagues. Flag football, even. Shows off the skills without the risk of injury. The linemen who make it, put them in a weightlifting contest or something.

5. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Whichever conference wins the Pro Bowl is the home team for the next Super Bowl

6. NickMordo

NickMordo Active Member

The Pro Bowl gets big ratings still so why get rid of it? The NFL can stick coal up its ass and a 24-karat diamond would emerge.

7. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Five-Mississippi for rushers?

If not flag, then two-hand touch. Have some fan involvement like with NASCAR's all-star race. Or mix things up: Linemen in the backfield, quarterbacks as linemen.

8. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I saw this thread again and thought it said "No more Pho Bowl." That would make me much sadder than losing the Pro Bowl.

9. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

They could name the All-Pro teams each season but just not have the game. It's perhaps best to let it become a bygone institution, like the College All-Star Game each year that was played in Chicago.

The Pro Bowl's jumped the shark ... go figure.

10. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

One thing I'd like seeing is these guys playing basketball. Seems like the ones who played both growing up liked basketball more anyway until they hit the ability wall. It would be a cool display of athleticism and something they could get into without tremendous risk of injury.

11. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Only Canadians believe there are four major pro sports.

12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Typical knee-jerk over-reaction by Goodell. The game was a joke this year and it drew some criticism, so he feels like he has to act.

Draft saved Draft deleted