1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

No more Pro Bowl?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MisterCreosote, Feb 6, 2012.

1. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

Are they? I'm not arguing, I'm just really surprised by that.

2. joe king

joe king Active Member

I'm way more of a football guy than a baseball guy, but I never would have guessed that.

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Not a totally fair comparison, though, because you're talking a summer Tuesday night vs. a winter Sunday night.

How do they do in their time slot? That seems more important.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Yeah. The Pro Bowl is on during a day that's probably one of the 4-5 slowest sports days of the year.

5. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Ridiculous.

6. Situation

Situation Member

I would contend that Tuesday of the All-Star game is a slower sports day than Pro Bowl Sunday, what with the NHL all-star game, NBA and college basketball as well. What else is going on in sports on Tuesday of the All-Star game?

7. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

The All-Star game is also during the summer. Much more to do outside in the summer than in January.

8. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I'm all for keeping the Pro Bowl. Means the NHL All Star game isn't the worst of the four major sports.

9. joe king

joe king Active Member

This is blue font, right? There is no slower time of year in sports than baseball's All-Star break. Isn't the day after the All-Star game famously dreaded as the day nothing happens in any sport anywhere?

10. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

For the Pro Bowl:
    1) Move it to the week after Super Bowl.
    2) Change the format of the game. Instead of AFC vs. NFC, do it NHL style, with a twist. The quarterback from each of the previous year's Super Bowls is the captain of a team. Then do a televised fantasy football draft to pick the teams on the Sunday between the Conference Championships and the Super Bowl. If you want to keep the fans involved, have the fans vote for which players are eligible to be drafted and if you want to make things interesting, require that the top 10 vote-getters be the first 10 players drafted (in any order).
    To save time for the draft, allow them to draft an offensive line instead of individuals.

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Well .... the three days around the All-Star game are 1-2-3 with Christmas Eve probably No. 4.

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I would watch the draft, but not the game.

I truly don't know what is better the week before or the week after the Super Bowl. Either way, almost no Super Bowl participants will be in it.

Winners get $100 grand each. Losers get nothing. Maybe that spices things up a bit.

Draft saved Draft deleted