1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

no more nfl within 30 years?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by shockey, Jan 28, 2013.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

The most prominent one was on a hit that was legal at the time and had been legal for the previous 80 years of the league's existence and is only illegal now because it happened to Golden Boy.

2. Bradley Guire

Bradley Guire Well-Known Member

I know I'm going to be ridiculed for my lack of empathy, but what the hell ... okay, so we have a better understanding now of the risks of playing football and having your brain rattle around your skull. I'm not sure any helmet technology will prevent the brain from doing so, unless each player has some kind of padding surgically inserted between the brain and the inside of the skull.

When it comes to youth football, there should probably be a curtailment of contact leagues at a young age. Perhaps no contact until middle school/junior high. Maybe even high school.

But for adults who want to play in college for scholarships and play in the pros for millions of dollars ... just as with other dangerous habits mentioned here like smoking, etc., I think all you can do is make people aware of adverse, long-term health risks. If they decide they still want to play, that's their call. If millionaire players decide to blow their money on drugs and women and houses and cars instead of putting away for the rest of their lives and long-term health care costs, that's their problem. You can set up the systems and institutions to help them do these things, but if they opt out, tough shit when they're 50 and bitching about their health. They made a choice, now they deal with the consequences.

Draft saved Draft deleted