1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

No more Monday paper in Pittsburg, Kan.

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by apeman33, Sep 2, 2008.

1. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

http://www.morningsun.net/news/x392057473/An-open-letter-to-Morning-Sun-customers

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

How long til they break the news about Tuesday?

3. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

In a lot of markets, Monday can be a tough sell.

We have begun printing our Monday as a TMC within our home county, boosting total circulation to somewhere in the 50K range from 36+ ... that has had something of an improved effect on advertiser interest.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Smartass... First daily paper I worked at didn't print Mondays

5. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I will not be surprised if other papers follow suit. Monday is pretty worthless for advertisers and from an editorial standpoint.

6. tagline

tagline Member

It would be hard to imagine any paper in an NFL market dropping a Monday edition.

7. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Yeah, but what if they boiled it down to a one-section paper, fronted by the NFL team's game, etc., etc., I could see that.

8. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I've made the pitch to switch from no paper Saturday to no paper Monday, but they say they can't because they'll lose a Dillard's ad.

9. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Pittsburgh isn't going to notice. It's a small town where (at least in sports) Saturday and Sunday will sell a few papes. Monday, it's an easy drop.
    That doesn't mean everywhere. But in Pittsburgh, they could easily go to the Web and be just fine.

10. BartonK

BartonK Active Member

As part of my first job (30,000-circ paper, rural Midwest), I had to hang out for 8 hours every Sunday, just in case something blew up. The entire year I was there, nothing did, and therefore the entire Monday paper consisted of wire items and things written prior to Saturday.

11. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

Pittsburg, no "h".

12. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

Pittsburg had a Monday edition?

Draft saved Draft deleted