1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

No more chicken tossing at Kansas State

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Oz, Feb 28, 2007.

1. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

I always thought K-State fans did this in spite of PETA and other groups like it. Guess I was wrong.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/basketball/ncaa/02/28/bc.bkc.kansasst.chicken.ap/index.html

MANHATTAN, Kan. (AP) -- The Kansas State athletic department issued an open letter to fans this week after an animal rights group objected to mistreatment of chickens at a basketball game.

For years, Kansas State students have has smuggled live chickens into games against Kansas, then thrown them onto the court and behind the opposing bench before tip-off. The students intend for the chickens to mock their rival's Jayhawk mascot.

2. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

That's a pretty good little gag.

Nothing, though, will top what the engineering students at USU did to UNLV and Tarkanian. The rigged a water bomb -- obviously long before 9/11 -- underneath the chair Tark sat in. It went off, soaked him in blue water and he was that color for the rest of the game. UNLV still kicked the snot out of the Aggies on the court, though.

3. Platyrhynchos

Platyrhynchos Active Member

I was there for one year right out of high school and saw the chicken tossing first-hand. KSU had a hot-shot forward from New York named Curtis Redding. First game of the year between KU and KSU was at Lawrence, and KU students threw hot dogs when Redding was introduced.
    KU had a player named Donnie Von Moore, who was often referred to as “The Missing Link.” When Von Moore was introduced, KSU students threw bananas on the floor.
    First came the chickens, though.

4. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

That's a nifty if not bizarre prank. Tossing chickens....

Did they choke them, too?

5. People used to throw bananas at Patrick Ewing when he was in HS.
    Most of them are pretty ashamed of it now.

6. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

MU students used to pelt the visiting football team with oranges after the first score of the year, in some sort of reference to the Orange Bowl. But since the MU bench is now in front of the students, I think it's stopped. Though it was great fun to hear the splat of an orange on a helmet.

7. SportsDude

SportsDude Active Member

The first thing I thought of while reading this was the "recurring characters for free range chickens" sketch on SNL.

8. cougargirl

cougargirl Active Member

The students at New Hampshire hockey games throw a fish on the ice after UNH scores the first goal, and the habit's picked up at a few northern New England high schools. It's a riot to see the cops running over to the section and the kids acting like nothing happened.

9. Deeper_Background

Deeper_Background Active Member

I believe the K-Staters did that one too.

10. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

My dad helped put a live skunk under Adolph Rupp's chair at a UK-Mississippi State basketball game.

11. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

IIRC, Wright Thompson was put in the clink for a few hours for throwing fruit at some opposing player during a football game. Maybe someone can correct me or fill in some details.

12. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Big difference. Pat Ewing was playing in hostile gyms that enjoyed pointing out the kid barely spoke English and was fresh off the boat from Jamaica.

Draft saved Draft deleted