1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

no more 5950?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by HoopsMcCann, Sep 7, 2006.

1. MertWindu

MertWindu Active Member

Oh god, that's the cherry on top (no pun intended). If you are not making millions of dollars making rap music, and your hat's brim is straight with the size sticker still on, YOU. ARE. A. DOUCHEBAG.

2. Sly

Sly Active Member

Does anyone know how to get the sweat/salt stains out of a 5950? Once my hats get those, i toss 'em.

Also, 5950s DO shrink too much. Hopefully they'll fix that.

3. jay_christley

jay_christley Member

The one thing I do like about the 5950 is how deep they are.
    I don't mind some of the other stretch hats. I even had a pre-faded one-size-fits-all Sox lid that was pretty cool. But I find that with my dome, most of those hats are too shallow and look stupid -- no matter if they're the "right" size, they look too small on me.
    I need the sides to at least reach the top of my ear lobe.
    The 5950s come all the way down to the ear.

4. MertWindu

MertWindu Active Member

Crown height is so underrated in hatmaking. I can't STAND hats that feel like they're barely wrapping around my head. Looks and feels stupid.

5. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

Mert, I agree on importance of hat depth. I once purchased a greg norman hat on the cheap out of necessity (my rain hood wouldn't stay out of my eyes, and I forgot to bring a hat with me), and it feels and looks stupid. So I don't wear it anymore.

As for the salt stains, that's how you know a hat is broken in. That's flavor. No hat is good until it's got a little funk to it.

6. CradleRobber

CradleRobber Active Member

I can't decide which one to pick up next.

http://www.neweracap.com/eshop3/productDetail.cfm?family_group=5962
    http://www.neweracap.com/eshop3/productDetail.cfm?family_group=5964
    http://www.neweracap.com/eshop3/productDetail.cfm?family_group=5708

The problem with the third one is I only have two shirts that match it. But I guess it doesn't really matter which one I choose, because I. AM. A. DOUCHEBAG.

7. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

I own 1. I purchased it shortly after 9/11 so it is a nice Yankees hat with the American flag on the side. I like it a lot but the brim hasn't bent enough for me.

Additionally, I don't have a big head so the brim feels too high for me. Oh well.

I have some other flex-fit hats, not necessarily made by Nike, and those are OK. Again, though, I have a small head so they don't work all that well.

As to the fashion: It is really fucking stupid to leave the damn sticker on a hat. Sorry, but it is a pet peeve. I see that shit when I walk down the street and I want to rip them off. Just ridiculous

8. CradleRobber

I'm surprised so many people have a difficult time at least trying to understand things for which they hold such a strong dislike.

If you don't want people to know the hat is a 59 FIFTY, then take the sticker off. But don't bitch about it and shit-talk other people because you don't accept their style and how they like to wear it. That makes you seem like the dumbass.

9. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

I'm with everyone else on this one. It looks retarded. If that's the look you're going for, then more power to you.

10. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

CR, style, while subject, does require taste and fitting. Leaving a fucking sticker, which has the purpose of informing those before a purchase, on the brim of a hat does not inform others that you purchased a 59 Fifty. It says, "Look, I am too lazy to take off the damn sticker!"

Why not just add those cute smiley stickers that teachers give out for attendance onto the hat?

With the brim un-bent, stickers on top and the size a bit too big add in the unbelievably huge plain white t-shirt that drags down to your knees and you might as well just throw on a big red nose and call yourself Krusty.

11. CradleRobber

I guess it really is the age difference after all. My mom and dad jokingly call me Minnie Pearl, but they have a grasp generational trends, apparently unlike many who have posted on this thread.

But this is silly. You think it looks retarded. I and those people whose opinions matter to me (friends, attractive girls, etc.) like it. Let's drop it right there.

12. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

CR, do you also request for the sales people to leave the plastic security tags on your jerseys? And do you really think attractive girls think "Oh, look he's got a sticker on his cap, I must bed him"?

Edit: CR, I'm just messing with you. Every older generation looks at the younger generations fashions and thinks "What. The. Fuck?" During the early 1980s, I wore Polo shirts with the collar popped, plaid shorts and Top-Siders. Yes, I was a preppie. And now that look is back, it scares and embarrasses me. I'm sure 20 years from now, you'll look back on the "flat-brimmed 5950 with a sticker" look and feel the same way.

Draft saved Draft deleted