1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

no more 5950?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by HoopsMcCann, Sep 7, 2006.

1. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

exactly

2. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

James Brown? I thought that was Wayne Brady.

3. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

The 59 FIFTYs gave me headaches too if I wore one for too long. My Yankees hat I'm wearing now has that NIKE Swooshflex and it's great. I have a UNC hat at home that has the Flexfit and I love it. If I buy a hat I have to make sure it flexes to fit any size head....

4. jay_christley

jay_christley Member

Shoot, I thought I was just special.
    I'm currently sporting a Padres 7 3/4, but my Red Sox is a 7 5/8.
    I hated the fact that I had to go through the whole f'n rack to find one that fit. You could never go by the size. It also meant that I would never risk ordering one online because I'd never know if they'd fit.
    However, I loved the look on the store employees faces when I'd be trying them on and I'd crack the brims to see if they'd fit right. I'd never roll the brim up tight to check them out, but just bend them enough to get an idea. They always looked like they were going to have an aneurysm if the bill was bent past a certain angle.

5. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

Oh yeah, I feel you on both the trying-on thing and the online ordering thing.

I swear by the Nike Flexfits now. I hope MLB goes down that road, although I'm not holding my breath.

6. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

I don't like the 5950 because it's wool, and wool shrinks if it gets wet, and then all of a sudden I'm looking like a white version of Art Shell sans the motorola headset.

I, too, like Nike's flexfits. I've got a Mizzou one and a Royals have a velcro strap on the back. They're stylish, comfy and not nearly as boxy as the 5950. Those hats are very Fred McGriff-ish.

I also have a solid-back version of a Flexfit, a black Mizzou hat that's now worn only during softball games. It's badly faded by the sun, but holds sentimental value as it was on my noggin at the '03 Mizzou-Nebraska game.

Those of you with normal heads might like 'em. But I have an orange on a toothpick. 5950 hats bad.

7. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

The flexfits are awesome. I've got a Steelers Reebok flexfit which fits perfectly.

The wool 5950s are great hats, unless you try to wear them during the summer. I don't know how MLBers stand it.

8. Norman Stansfield

Fred McGriff-ish.

Classic. But accurate.

9. MertWindu

MertWindu Active Member

I've found that once you get a 5950 in the right size (which definitely changes depending on the hat), it'll probably do you fine for a good while. However, if you wear it out in the rain, you have to keep it on for a few hours after to keep it from shrinking too much. The one thing I like about the 5950 is that the shape is pretty much guaranteed. It might stand up a little bit, but you're never going to have the dorky point in the center or anything.

I was pretty surprised a few months ago when I bought a new Sox hat, and the B was totally off center and crooked. Never seen a defective 5950 make it to the stores before.

And CR, I haven't worn my brim straight since I was seven years old. With very, VERY VERY VERY few exceptions, people who don't curve the brim look absolutely fucking ridiculous. It's definitely the pseudo hip-hopper look.

10. Norman Stansfield

Along those lines, you gotta love the kids nowadays leaving that big shiny gold New Era sticker on top of the brim. Very stylish.

11. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

Until I read the first post, I thought Levis was doing away with a style of jeans.

I bought one fitted hat in my life and didn't like the fit or the way it looked on me.

I reverted back to hats with the plastic fastener on the back.

I wore a $7 Notre Dame hat that I bought at Wal-Mart for three years and followed it with a similar Boston Red Sox hat.

I recently bought two hats to restock my depleted stash of head coverings. Neither is fitted, and I absolutely love both of them.

One is made by Reebok. The other was made in China. It's 100 cotton, and I prefer that. Wool would cause my head to melt. Wouldn't it hold in heat? That might be a part of the headache problem. Heat rises, and I'm pretty sure the head is one of the warmest parts of the human body, aside from the nads, I suppose. But I don't think they make hats for the family jewels.

12. Ledbetter

Ledbetter Active Member

Brown sang "Dooley's Junkyard Dogs" at Sanford Stadium during halftime of the Vanderbilt game in 1976.

Draft saved Draft deleted