1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

no more 5950?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by HoopsMcCann, Sep 7, 2006.

1. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

from uniwatch blog (http://uniwatchblog.com/)

jesus, i'm going to have to buy at least three royals 5950s. i love the 5950. it takes a while to get it broken in right, but once it is... it's the best.

fuck you bud!

2. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Quickest way to break in the 5950 ... wear it in the shower. The front part has strands of plastic that make it stand up. When you wear it in the shower, the water warms up the strands and you can mold it to your head. Plus, it softens the brim and makes it easier to bend to your liking. It breaks it in almost instantly.

The question now is, what the hell are the new ones going to look and feel like?

3. HoopsMcCann

i'm guessing a lot like the batting practice hats... which i like a lot, but i still love me some 5950

4. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Not to threadjack here, but it's killing me know know what Vince Dooley is doing in a picture wiht James Brown ...

5. CradleRobber

CradleRobber Active Member

Who bends the bill of a 59 FIFTY? It's the one hat that's meant to be worn exactly how it comes out of the store, sans price tag. I'm disappointed by this news, since I only own four different 59 FIFTY Dodgers hats and I don't have $37 apiece to buy the five other ones I still need.

When are they officially changing over?

6. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

I've had tons of 5950s over the years.

Some fit great, others didn't. I hated the fact that I'd need a 7 3/8 with one and a 7 1/2 with another. There was never any rhyme or reason. They also tended to give me headaches if I wore them too long.

I've become a big believer in those Nike Flexfit caps. The stretch material allows everyone -- including jugheads like myself -- to fit into them comfortably.

I wonder if MLB would consider going with that style, rather than the fitted?

7. HoopsMcCann

the flexfit only fit me right backwards, but i still kinda like 'em. forward they just fit weird. the bp hats, the 3930, i believe, are somewhat stretchy, in a medium-large, etc.

and cradlerobber, i will ignore what you said. that's just silly.

8. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I've got a Pirates 7 1/2 that fits great. A couple of weeks after buying that cap, I was in Chattanooga and wanted a Lookouts cap (love those minor leagues). I had to get an 8 to fit my Sputnik-like heed.

9. CradleRobber

Straight-up, man. What part? I gotta know.

10. HoopsMcCann

that stupid-ass fad of the straight bill... looks ridiculous

11. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Kevin Mensch and I are the only people who need an 8 in a 5950, though I can wear a 7-3/4 when I get a fucking haircut.

12. CradleRobber

It's a very popular style for people who aren't trying to pretend like they're a professional ballplayer. Sorry you don't appreciate it.

Draft saved Draft deleted