1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

No money = no sports

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by trifectarich, Jul 28, 2008.

1. Grimace

Grimace Guest

It's called living in a society.

2. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I really didn't want George Bush to be president. Why should the rest of the country get to fuck me over.

3. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Zeke was right. Bumper crop this season.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  4. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Your reasoning here is incredibly flawed.
    Are you just trying to bait people or do you really think this?

5. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Guess he's not planning on growing old and needing to see a doctor for anything or hiring a home health care worker to wipe his ass and drool when he's consigned to the nursing home cause he has no family.

6. SigR

SigR Member

How is my reasoning flawed? Or do you not view government as the highest form of organized crime like I do?

In my imaginary world, government has two functions: National defense and Individual defense. It protects the nation with the means to assemble an army, it protects the individual and his rights with a law enforcement/judicial system. There are no other valid functions of government.

No, I'm not trying to bait anyone, just expressing my opinion.

7. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Grow the Fuck up

8. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

OK, Sig, I'll bite because I always want to hear people with your libertarian bent actually take their "ideals" to their logical conclusion. There's a guy across the street from me who hates roads. Doesn't want to pay for them. So by all us wacky idealists pooling our money (via taxes) to build roads we are stealing from him?

Now, if the answer is "yes," please tell me how we remedy the situation.

9. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

After that we can discuss all of that over-the-top law enforcement and prisons and those goddamn street lamps that seem to be going up all over the place. Some of us don't even drive at night.

10. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

No, I don't view government as organized crime.
    I don't know why I bother with this, but if you take this to its logical conclusion you would advocate that it is better for old people to starve to death as long as one person didn't want tax money to support a program like food stamps.
    You've already said that ignoring the will of the majority in the process is good government.
    How does that make any sense?

11. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Your imaginary world is not governed by the Constitution of the United States of America.

(I'm not going to quote chapter and verse; rightly or wrongly, I'm going to assume that you either passed civics class or you have the ability to look it up and read it yourself.)

12. SigR

SigR Member

Personally, roads have been a big hang-up for me in my "libertarian" ideology. I sway back and forth on their necessity to be taxpayer funded. Usually I end up with a solution that isn't a solution the next time I think about it.

Libertarians tend to assume that taxation is theft. Using that assumption, all taxation, even for a judicial system and national defense, is theft. So there must be some determining factor that brings us back from anarchy into some sort of reasonable minarchy. When I try to figure out what that concept is, I just look at what the things have in common that I want to be taxpayer funded--national defense and judicial system, and the closest thing i can come up with is "place".

Place means that there is actually a physical location for human beings to freely interact among other human beings with some reasonable expectation of the rule of law. Because roads are a very "place" driven concept, it's easy to include them in the matrix of what would be justifiable theft.

Usually at the end of things I favor a use-tax for roads, which with today's modern technology shouldn't be hard to implement. So that yes, your neighbor across the street shouldn't have to pay for the roads if he isn't going to use them. Though, because the cost of transportation is built into the price of goods, if he participates in any way whatsoever in the marketplace, he will be contributing to roads as well.

My general caveat with libertarianism is that there is no way I'm advocating these changes for the world as it exists now. I just have utopian visions, and am usually satisfied in saying "the more libertarian, the better" with regard to the socio-political economy as it exists now. I'm not naive enough to say that if we abolished public schools that we wouldn't have a massive crisis. But I'm also optimistic that the marketplace, if given the opportunity (opportunity being the key and elusive element), could provide for a country's education needs--and far more efficiently than a government ever could.

Draft saved Draft deleted