1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

No home phone

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by mb, Sep 28, 2009.

1. accguy

accguy Member

Random question from someone who has been thinking about ditching the land line for a while.

Do you ever get telemarketing calls on your cell? What do you put down when someplace needs a phone number? Do you put your cell and then have that number get sold by somebody?

2. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I usually put your number down. That's probably why you've been getting so many telemarketing calls.

3. John

John Well-Known Member

I give out my cell number to anyone who might legitimately need to reach me. If I'm just filling out a form that requires a number, I put down the automated time and temperature service number from my hometown.

I've never had telemarketers call me on my cell (I did register on the Do Not Call list) and I haven't had a home phone since about 2001.

4. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

What did people do before cell phones? If I'm in a car accident, the world can go on without me for a little bit.

5. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

You sound like my grandfather. I don't mean that in a mean or offensive way, but it's true.

Question: Do you resist any and all technology changes at work? :)

6. RickStain

Heck no. I'm the only one who shoots video for our web site, and I do it voluntarily in addition to my regular duties. I'm actually quite the nerdy technophile.

I just hate cell phones. They are expensive, and once you have one, people feel entitled to get through to you at any time.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  7. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

How do people feel entitled to get through to you at any time? People can feel whatever they want. Doesn't mean you have to answer the phone every time it rings. And remember, you have control over who has your number and who doesn't.

8. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

Man, I'd hate to be your boss.

9. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

haven't had a land line for at least five years.

10. RickStain

I've been out of college for four years now, it's never been an issue.

11. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Not grabbing every gadget and every application that comes along does not equate to "resisting" technology.

There is a difference in "I find no need for a land line anymore" and "I cannot function in society without a cell phone." And, as was pointed out, it can get expensive. Would not surprise me if many people's cell/text bills were as large as their car payments. Which makes it very dubious to cry poverty.

Is having a Kindle on your phone free? If so, great. If not, I'm gonna have to "resist" it.

12. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

I'm in my mid-30s and I've never owned a cell phone. Somehow life has been rather manageable -- even enjoyable.

I have told my sister to put one in my dead right hand when the time comes, it's the only time I see myself ever having need for one.

Draft saved Draft deleted