1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

No home phone

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by mb, Sep 28, 2009.

1. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Still don't have a cell phone.

No one calls me so it doesn't really matter either way, but not having a cell gives me plausible deniability when it comes to not answering the phone. Can still use the excuse, "But I wasn't home."

2. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

An earthquake could take out a land line as easily as it takes out a cell tower.

3. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

I got rid of the land line in 2002. I checked the previous month prior to disconnect and had two incoming calls - one was a telemarketer. In 2004 when we painted the house, I cut the phone line coming in, coiled it and nailed it to the pole, filled the hole and painted over it.

Gotta love my 70 year old dad. When I said I was turning off phone ... "You can't do that. What if you're somewhere that you don't get service on your cell phone?" "Well, then I wouldn't be at the house to answer a home phone, would I?" "Yeah, I guess that's a good point. Turn it off."

4. KG

KG Active Member

The only time in five years that I've missed having a landline was when I was having an asthma attack and couldn't move any air at all for about 15 seconds. I was unable to speak for several minutes, because it was such a bad one. It was totally random, yet the worst one I've had. I was a little scared, because I knew I wouldn't be able to tell them how to find me if I didn't start breathing again. That's the one time I've really wished I still lived in an apartment. At least then I could make my way to the breezeway to pull the fire alarm.

5. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

I haven't had a landline since 2006. For my DSL now, I have something called a dryloop hookup. It costs an extra seven bucks a month, but that's why cheaper than the cheapest landline package I can get here.

6. luckyducky

luckyducky Guest

Other than the ones that came free with my dorm, haven't had a landline since I moved out of my parents house (2000).

7. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Haven't had a land line since 2000.

I found it odd last year when I moved in with my friend and his fiancee into their new home that she was SUPER excited to get her own home phone number. When the phone company told her she couldn't get one that started with 789, she was literally depressed. "I've wanted to have my own 789 number since I was a little girl," she said. That always boggled my mind.

8. Bodie_Broadus

Bodie_Broadus Active Member

Haven't had a landline in years.

I don't even need a cell phone, no one ever calls me.

9. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I only have a land line now because of my DSL.

10. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

No home phone. Just a cell.

If you really want a land line, I have one business line that is Voice-Over-IP (VoIP) that I get incredibly cheap and it is reliable. If you go through Vonage or your cable or DSL company, the phone service they provide is still fairly expensive.

But there are a bunch of small VoIP providers that provide good service and aren't that expensive. The guys I use are Voipo (www.voipo.com). They are really nice and it's actually pretty personalized and I think if you want it for a home phone line, you can get a line for not much more than $100 for the entire year. That gives you unlimited calling and lots of neat features, like the ability to forward calls or listen to voice mail from a computer, three-way calling, etc. I even have it set up so I can use their server to make phone calls from my PDA (with a headset and mic and a wireless connection) away from the office, and it looks to the caller like the call is coming in from my office.

I have had so few issues, but if you call over there, you get personalized attention and they are really helpful in setting up the features for you and helping you get their adaptors set up. I'd really recommend them if you are intent on keeping a landline and it will cost you a ton less than using your local cable provider or one of the big companies, like Vonage. And you can transfer over your current landline phone # if decide to make that kind of switch.

11. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I find it amazing that there are still people without cell phones. I don't think I know a single person without one. And those with neither a land line or a cell phone? I can't imagine the kind of lives you people live. :)

12. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Does it count if the only phone we have is my wife's cell phone? People use it if they want to contact me, but I don't carry it around.

Draft saved Draft deleted