1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

No-hitters and Your Paper

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Dan Rydell, Apr 19, 2007.

1. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Depends on the market. Depends on what else is going on. Depends which pitcher threw it -- if it's probably someone's 15 minutes of fame, inside.

2. Trucha

Trucha Member

Just because it's a big deal to the sport doesn't mean it's a big deal to readers.

If you're in a market where the readers care, rip up the front. If baseball is of marginal interest, lead the roundup ... and maybe tease from the front.

We led the roundup.

3. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

Understood, but a perfect game in the Majors belongs on the front, or something along those lines, no matter the market.

4. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Cutout refer on front. Broke out the story off the regular MLB page, with a big photo of the beer shower.

We had Clippers and Lakers vying for playoffs, Dodgers and Angels played today, a shitload of prep/area college games (including a staffed one), Ducks playoff preview, et al.

Can't put everything on the front -- and Lakers/Dodgers sure trump Buehrle out here, that's for sure.

5. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

Sure do, but no hitter's don't happen that often. I mean Anibal Sanchez had one last year, and that is pretty noteworthy. In the papers around the Philly area that I saw, it made the front page somewhere.

6. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

... that wasn't beer.

7. Dan Rydell

Dan Rydell Guest

Oh, you bet it's a rarity. It's a friggin' no-hitter. You can't schedule them, so you celebrate them when they come.

Thanks for all the responses. If you didn't tear up your front -- and override the color deadline for something like this -- you're not a good newspaper.

deadlines are broken for major obits, and major sports news. a no-hitter should always qualify for that. i'm appalled when i see a no-hitter buried inside in a roundup. so friggin' lame.

it's major news. jump on it, and play it big.

8. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

The joys of being on te left coast :)

9. Wow. :eek: ... so much for each newspaper having its own diverse market it should cater to ...

10. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

Top of our cover rail with a photo. That gave it refer status on the upper right-hand corner of the page. Headline on pg. 4, which is always the AL page.
    Like Buckweaver said: Ducks, Lakers, Clippers, Angels, Dodgers, column. You can't make a blanket statement that a no-hitter has to be on the cover.

11. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Eat me. We don't control our deadlines and we're an East Coast paper, asshat. A Buerhle photo didn't even move till after 10:30, I believe. Who the fuck are you to denigrate me or my product for deadlines set by the press room?

12. MertWindu

MertWindu Active Member

Seriously. Dan, no chance a paper had a big local day, and maybe a local MLB team that had to make front? It's not like anyone under the age of 60 is hearing about the no-hitter for the first time from the newspaper, anyway.

Draft saved Draft deleted