1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

No-hitter complete: Boston's Buchholz in second ML start

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Clever username, Sep 1, 2007.

1. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I counted 259 from 1876-2007 on retrosheet.org -- 216 since 1900. There were eight thrown in 1884, as Buck said, "over three different leagues, (one of which, the UA, isn't generally considered a 'major league.')" The modern-day record for no-hitters in a season is seven, done in 1990 and 1991.

2. LiveStrong

LiveStrong Active Member

Yeah, after making his MLB debut, he had a pair of bad starts in AAA. That letdown is actually a lot more common than you might expect. He's for real.

3. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

Spectating or working?

I moved from the area a couple of weeks ago, so I don't know if you're back in the business beyond the blog.

4. Angola!

Angola! Guest

There goes the no-hitter.
    Bucholz comes in in relief and allows a walk and a single.

5. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

What a schmuck.

6. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

That's ok. He pitched three scoreless innings and picked up the win (with an assist from the Baltimore pen).

7. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I'd like to see the kid take a spot in the rotation, but the Red Sox really don't need him. He's quite a luxury.

8. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Thanks to the slim-downed version of Miguel Tejada. Way to hit into a DP with the bases loaded and no outs.

9. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

That's what happens when you stop taking your Vitamin B pills.

10. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Until next year, when he allows the Sox to save about $12 million that would have gone to Schilling. But the kid's certainly done his part to justify the buzz already.

Draft saved Draft deleted