1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

No-Hitter Alert: Francisco Liriano vs. Chicago

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Oscar Gamble, May 3, 2011.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Meanwhile, the Mets are the Abe Vigoda of baseball teams. They still don't have a no-hitter.

2. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

With Dunn stepping to the plate 0-for-16 against lefties this season, that may have been a bit more of a longshot than you realized.

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I see your point.

I saw Francisco Cordova and Ricardo Rincon throw a combined no-no for the Pirates in Three Rivers Stadium. It was an underwhelming performance all the way through. Honestly, watching a young Billy Wagner blow 100-MPH fastballs by the Pirates batters he faced and some scrub hit a walk-off home run to end it were more impressive at the time.

But looking back, it was still damn cool to have seen it. That's why I remember it was Cordova and Rincon who threw it, but not the guy who hit the game-winning homer (Mark Smith maybe? I'm not sure).

5. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

Did you all notice the blatant blown call on the Beckham DP to end the 8th? Morneau missed the swipe tag on a wide throw. Even the Twins announcers said they got a break.

Granted, it would have been a FC and one more batter, rather than a hit, but it's still interesting that no one seems to care about umpire blown calls when they give us the result we want to see.

The extra batter is not at all trivial, considering the score, the fact that Liriano had a lot of pitches and issued two more walks in the ninth, and that the game ended with Konerko on deck.

6. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

It was not the result I wanted to see :)

I think that it doesn't get the attention of Zumaya for a couple reasons: (1) Like you said, it was a FC; (2) It was the eighth inning, not the last out of the ninth; (3) The White Sox wouldn't have gotten a hit if the game went 16 innings. I'm skeptical about whether they get one the rest of the god blessed series.

7. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Good point, and for some reason, there's been a bunch of badly blown calls thus far this season.

Liriano said he was basically running on fumes by the end, and having to face Konerko might have been one hitter too many.

Then again, with the way the White Sox have hit the last couple of weeks ... :p

8. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

Hawk was so downtrodden he left the play-by-play to Steve Stone. And I agree. (Put that on the board. Yes.)

EDIT: Just read that Hawk was ill... which I obviously didn't know. My apologies to Hawk and his legion of fans. And here's to his speedy recovery.

9. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

Also, if memory serves, there was a fair bit of controversy the last time the White Sox were no-hit before yesterday. Saberhagen did it in KC in 1991, and there was a ball hit to the wall that Kirk Gibson got a glove on... it was ruled an error.

10. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

I think something like this happened to Joel Horlen of the White Sox. Had a no-hitter for 8.1, then gave up a single and a homer and lost.

Draft saved Draft deleted