1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

No gamer on front page?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Trey Beamon, Sep 9, 2006.

1. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Picked up the FW Star-Telegram today, pulled out the Cowboys/NFL separate section, looked at the cover:

Giant photo, graphics, two columns at the bottom of the page (Reeves on T.O., Galloway on Bledsoe's meltdown), no gamer.

FWIW

2. Montezuma's Revenge

Montezuma's Revenge Active Member

I'm with you, daemon.

Alas, the people in charge of making decisions are in love with design and presentation, not content.

Our business has systematically spent the past two decades giving the readers less and less worth reading. Then we throw up our hands, say, "We're losing readers."

And then we proceed to give them even less.

3. daemon

daemon Well-Known Member

You're preaching to the choir on this one. It's why I love papers like the Washington Post and the New York Times. I feel like they find a way to pack as much information and content into their section as possible.

4. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

I used to think 1A of the L.A. Times was extremely busy, and it was odd how actually formulaic it was. But you knew what was important that day, and what special stories the Times had, every day.

5. fever_dog

fever_dog Active Member

i would love some links to about 20 or 30 of these gamers that are offering pinpoint analysis and teeming with information that i can get nowhere else. that would come in handy.

6. MGoBlue

MGoBlue Member

Leave the gamers insider ... give me opinion/analysis up front. Thanks.

7. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Sweet jumpin' Jesus, we aren't analysts.

We're reporters (and designers and editors, etc.)

Sean Salisbury is an analyst, for fuck's sake. What possible good analysis can you come up with on deadline?

Report what happened.

8. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Sweet jumpin' Jesus, political writers analyze all the time.

9. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

what is: why newspapers are in serious trouble for $1,000 alex?

10. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

Those who are within reach of Monday's Chicago Tribune (the paper edition), look at the 8-page wraparound and tell me where the Bears-Packers game story is. The quarter-by-quarter across 2 and 3? The Mullin piece on 5? I dunno. At least there are options. At the PGA Championship, the paper didn't have a game story per se. Love the Sun-Sentinel's approach, assuming the 3C story was the gamer. You've gotta have one somewhere. People aren't inclined to go on treasure hunts.

11. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I have no problem with good, solid analysis.

I think, even in sports gamers, the beat reporter should no be afraid to offer things that border on opinions if it aids in developing context.

But no one can "analyze" against a hard deadline. And it surely couldn't be the only hting you offer readers the morning after a big game.

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

So what about newspapers isn't broken?

Draft saved Draft deleted