1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

no four-leaf clovers on St. Patrick's Day, please

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by writing irish, Mar 17, 2008.

1. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

And so, tonight, when you get drunk and challenge your kids to a fist fight, know that you're doing it for the good of all Ireland!

2. STLIrish

STLIrish Active Member

Amen.

That said, and full well knowing St. Patrick's Day is fucking amateur night, I'm a touch to the winds, thanks largely to some drunk off-duty-bartender who bought me a few rounds 'cuz Mrs. Irish was nice to him at our local. God Bless 'em.

3. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Too late. They already beat my ass. They beat my ass until I was a walking, talking potato famine.

4. pallister

pallister Guest

"Danny Boy" was written by an Englishman, and St. Patrick is Welsh.

5. Leftovers?

6. HC

HC Well-Known Member

There are some leftovers but I don't think I can smuggle them into the hockey game next week. :D

7. You're Belgian?

8. JR

JR Well-Known Member

And although I'm a day late posting this, a tribute to Flann O'Brien by the Irish-Canadian crime novelist John Brady:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/LAC.20080315.BKREAD15/TPStory/Entertainment/Books

When I think of O'Nolan, I think of my father. They were contemporaries, both born in 1911, both civil servants living within a couple of miles of each other. My father was living proof of O'Nolan's ear for idiom and dry wit, and on his way to work often noted the man's solitary stance by the bus stop, wan, expressionless face under a broad-brimmed hat.

9. JR

JR Well-Known Member

And I should add, it was awesome.

10. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Worse ... Dutch.

There are only 2 things I hate - intolerance and the Dutch.

11. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

Is it too late for the Dutch to take King Billy back?

12. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

That puts you firmly in the lap of the majority.

Draft saved Draft deleted