1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

No ethics from SE

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Jackson Sundown, Sep 6, 2006.

1. For the second week in a row our sports editor has traveled on the bus with the college football team
    he's suppose to be covering. The last reports we heard was that they were paying for his meals as well.
    The worst part of all this is that our ME knows and hasn't put his foot down.
    I'll admit I'm a bit biased because I cover the other college team and our budget won't allow for
    me to travel. I've got the bigger school, yet our readers see datelines from all over the region from our SE
    with the small college. My bureau chief and I proposed a one-night trip for $350 to our first conference game that included airfare, mileage to the airport and food and our ME shot it down. I was going to crash on a friend-of-a-friend's couch to save money. This gets nixed but our SE essentially gets to paint his face in small school colors before the game and it's OK.
    I'd love to hear your thoughts.

2. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

Get your clips and resume together. This guy sounds like a looser.

3. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Got a resume? Send it out.

EDIT: Dammit, OTD beat me to it.

4. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Take his job or get on the next bus out of town.

5. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

usually a boss like that doesn't have the skills professoinaly to help you advance. Get out and put yourself in a position where you can learn and with a boss who has the skills to teach you.

6. Let us know who he is so we can hold him up to national journalistic scorn

7. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

More importantly - let us know who it is so nobody here applies for your job after you leave.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Quit yer bitching and hop on your team's bus. Problem solved!

9. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

It's that kinda Mickey Mouse attitude that'll keep you from getting that job with the Plain Dealer, Ace!

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Hell, I'd be saving them cold, hard bucks.

11. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Definitely drop some resumes in the mail.

Once your lack-of-ethics boss finds out about this thread, you will be axed -- without two weeks notice.

12. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Yea, it's probably not too hard for that SE to figure out who started this thread.

Draft saved Draft deleted