1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"No Country for Old Men" ending (SPOILER)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by WaylonJennings, Apr 5, 2008.

1. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Well I have not read the book, but I have seen enough Coen brothers movies to know that they have their issues with endings. In the context of their body of work, the ending seemed appropriate enough.

2. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Oh, come on. The ending of Raising Arizona ("maybe it was Utah") was brilliant!

3. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

I would not change a thing about Raising Arizona, it is true.

4. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

dicksnort.

5. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

My very favorite movie of all time. Or is it a film? schiezainc, can I get a call here? ::)

Petty, I hope you're an editor. Your response was so much more succinct than mine, yet accomplished the same thing.

6. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

neither. i just hang around here because i think sports dorks are hot and so witty.

7. Even the ones who hate CC?

8. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

you know, i just kinda pitty them now.

i'm past my anger.

9. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Not to get in the middle of the this-ending-sucked-no-it's-too-cultured-for-you debate ... ::)

I watched the movie for the first time tonight, and it was immensely powerful. I agree with whoever said "bad guys don't always lose, good guys don't always live," because that's what I got out of it. Tremendous movie.

That said, I'm glad I watched it on DVD. So I could go back and see the ending again. And now that I've seen it again, I love the ending. But I can see how people would be a little confused if they had seen it in the theater. I would've been, too.

So my advice for TP and GBNF is: Watch it again.

10. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Here's why a criticism of the ending is legitimate:

If left some people confused, and it wasn't supposed to. Cormac McCarthy's ending isn't vague. It's clear. The movie isn't. I've talked to many seasoned moviegoers, and "what did it mean?" is a frequent question.

The last half hour is a mess, frankly, having watched it again.

11. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

sorry buck, but i watched it on dvd about a week or so ago. i did rewind it and watched the ending three more times.

yeah, i got it. simply thought it was a shitty way to end that type of movie.

12. GBNF

GBNF Well-Known Member

DING DING DING!

Draft saved Draft deleted