1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

No context Wikipedia text

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by dixiehack, Aug 14, 2023.

1. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

Hayes, 22, a jockey of Elmont, New York, died of a heart attack mid-race and collapsed on the horse, which nonetheless crossed the finish line first, still carrying his body.

Neutral Corner and PaperDoll like this.
  2. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

During the fight, HBO's commentary team had to evacuate their ringside position (with George Foreman helping to protect his fellow commentators after unsuccessfully attempting to put an end to the fighting; the commentators' table was destroyed in the brawl), resulting in several minutes of commentary-free coverage of the melee before Jim Lampley was able to resume coverage of the incident from several levels above. Larry Merchant and Foreman remained in the ring providing coverage as tempers continued to flare into punch-ups between spectators. The credits rolled over footage of NYPD officers entering MSG and beginning to make arrests.

3. dixiehack

Boise City was founded in 1908 by developers J. E. Stanley, A. J. Kline, and W. T. Douglas (all doing business as the Southwestern Immigration and Development Company of Guthrie, Oklahoma) who published and distributed brochures promoting the town as an elegant, tree-lined city with paved streets, numerous businesses, railroad service, and an artesian well.[a] They sold 3,000 lots to buyers who discovered, on their arrival, that none of the information in the brochure was true. In addition to using false publicity, the three men did not have title to the lots they sold.

I Should Coco likes this.
  4. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

But did the homes of their new town have blue turf? ;)

maumann likes this.
  5. dixiehack

Lucas and producer Gary Kurtz took the script to American International Pictures, who expressed interest, but ultimately believed American Graffiti was not violent or sexual enough for the studio's standards.

6. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Surely there were malls in Boise Idaho.

7. dixiehack

During the train ride to Pasadena, in which Greasy Neale continued to prepare his men, Lee Spillers caught pneumonia and could not finish the journey.[1] Ross "Bucky" Buchannan, a reserve player who had stowed away on the train and was fed smuggled sandwiches during the trip, was available to fill Spillers' roster spot.

8. I Should Coco

Please let this Wiki entry be about an Iowa or Minnesota Rose Bowl team.

9. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

The St. Louis Browns of the American League purchased his contract in 1945 from the Chicks for $20,000 (equivalent to $300,000 in 2022), and Gray signed for $4,000 (equivalent to $60,000 in 2022). Wearing uniform number 14,[7] Gray played left and center field for the Browns. He appeared in 77 games, batting .218 with a .958 fielding percentage in center field. He played competently in the outfield, transferring the ball from glove to hand with remarkable speed.

He collected his first major league hit (a single) against the Detroit Tigers on April 17, 1945. On May 20, he fulfilled his lifelong dream and played a double header in Yankee Stadium,[8] collecting five hits and two RBI as the Browns swept the Yankees. The first game ended 10-1 and the second ended 5–1. Gray also proved himself an accomplished bunter. In order to bunt, he planted the knob of the bat against his side, and then slid his hand about one-third of the way up the shaft of the bat.

As the season progressed, it became apparent that Gray could not hit breaking pitches. Once he started his swing, he could not change his timing because he had no second hand to check the swing. Opposing pitchers discovered that fact and threw curve balls. His last big league appearance was on September 30, 1945.

I Should Coco likes this.
  10. I Should Coco

Whole lotta big leaguers with two hands can’t hit breaking balls, either.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  11. dixiehack

12. I Should Coco

Draft saved Draft deleted