1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

No circle of hell would be deep enough for this woman.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dooley_womack1, Mar 3, 2013.

1. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

I don't dispute that. I've heard a doctor call pneumonia and old person's best friend. If she had been battling a long debilitating illness or something that's one thing. I'm talking about an otherwise healthy person who went down with a cardiac event because she hit bingo or they got double rice pudding on Saturday or something.

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Who are you to judge us?

3. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

At least Medicare will now take up only 33 percent of the budget.

4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

There's a documentary out about the Obamacare program that will assure this never happens again.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  5. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

she had just started to turn her life around.

6. DocTalk

DocTalk Active Member

A thought or two:

Do Not Resuscitate forms should not be considered a legal document but rather a guideline, helping family and care givers carry out the wishes of the patient.
    The best way to think of successful CPR is not restoration of pulses and breathing but walking out of the hospital as a functioning person. The older, more frail patient is less likely to survive.
    CPR is a bridge to electricity. The only real survivable heart rhythms are ventricular fibrillation and ventricular tachycardia, and the treatment for those is electrical shocks with a bystander AED or by medical personnel.
    Starting CPR is a compassionate act of kindness. The action can be stopped if a DNR form is found and the decision is made to honor it or if the medial condition is ofund not to be salvageable. Not starting loses that few minutes of opportunity.
    There is a difference between assisted living and a nursing home. Many patient in assisted living are quite functional and independent. But is difficult to generalize. The facility in question may have its policies in place because they cater to patients adn families who choose less aggressive end of life care. If that is the case, 911 should not be activated.

7. matt_garth

matt_garth Well-Known Member

8. Bradley Guire

Bradley Guire Well-Known Member

Jerry, Elaine, Goerge and Cosmo went to prison for a lesser crime in a case of ot helping someone.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Beyond all the knee jerking, here are my thoughts:

1. The policy as stated is designed solely to protect the institution. There are trained nurses at the facility, yet when a resident needs them most, their only function is to call 9-1-1? If you want to get ahold of grammy's estate, I guess that's a good policy.

2. The nurse on the phone sounded like a cold-hearted bitch in comparison with the 9-1-1- dispatcher. You don't hear the nurse saying, "I'm so sorry, I wish I could help but we have these strict policies. Please have your ambulance hurry." It's all very perfunctory.

Legally, what this place does probably is a good way to help cover its ass from lawsuits.

In the court of public opinion, they screwed up big time. That's what you get for employing drones, and I hope it costs them lots of money.

10. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Yeah, I hate these ambulances that stop at Dunkin Donuts on the way.

BTW, according to that Time magazine Bitter Pill article, a 4-mile ambulance ride costs about $950.

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Here they only stop if the "hot donuts" sign is on.

12. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Family says Grandma didn't want to be resuscitated. "It was our beloved mother and grandmother's wish to die naturally and without any kind of life prolonging intervention," said the statement. "We understand that the 911 tape of this event has caused concern, but our family knows that mom had full knowledge of the limitations of Glenwood Gardens and is at peace."

http://www.sfgate.com/news/medical/article/Family-Woman-denied-CPR-wanted-no-intervention-4326960.php#ixzz2MjcGInxQ

Draft saved Draft deleted