1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

No Carter thread?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Killick, May 21, 2007.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

It's kind of amazing of the 10 worst presidents in American history, we've had five (possibly six) in the last 33 years. Hell, maybe seven.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

You counting Hillary already?

3. Starman

I was on the fence about Ford. ;)

4. Needs_More_Cowbell

Needs_More_Cowbell New Member

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Historical_rankings_of_United_States_Presidents

5. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Jimmy Carter was an ineffective president. Agree on that.

But he looks more like Lincoln every day the Shrub's on the job.

How many more soliders died today, George?

Neck-deep in the big muddy. And the big fool said to push on.

6. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Interest rates sucked (unless you happened to hold T-bills paying 15 percent :D).

Inflation sucked. But then, we didn't have the Federal Reserve playing the role of inflation hawk that we have enjoyed for the past few years.

But unemployment . . . how many times do I have to quash this myth?

Unemployment during Carter's term peaked at 7.18 percent.

It was higher than that during Ford's two years, and it was higher than that for Reagan's first five years, and it was higher than that when Bush41 left office.

The Carter years weren't great. But they weren't disastrous. There were no catastrophies, no calamaties, no brutal wars. Just some basic economic malaise. He could have been tougher with the Soviet Union and Iran . . . but as Bush has proven, being tough and stupid is worse than being passive and hopeful.

The hostages DID come home . . . ALIVE . . . with their heads attached to their bodies.

Our people in harm's way today should have it so good.

7. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Given the utter disregard for protocol which has "distinguished" the current administration,
    handing out protocol red cards to Jimmy Carter in this spot is laughable. I disagree with much of what Jimmy Carter stands for, and he surely could have expressed himself better on this issue, but in terms of hearts being in the right places -- JC wins this round.

8. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Jimmy did a great job of negotiating the release of the hostages in Iran as well.

I know, I know that was part of the vast Right-Wing conspiracy too....

9. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

As a president: I concede his mediocrity at best. And, growing up as a Reagan-is-great conservative in the 1980's, Carter was the butt of many jokes I uttered.
    --
    His post-presidential career: He's the model for the modern former executive-in-chief.
    --
    For that alone, you let him speak his mind and respectfully disagree if you need. You do not belittle the man, which the WH lackey did. It's about professionalism, as well. You're in the power position. You don't need to sling mud.

10. jimmymcd

jimmymcd Guest

Old people can say what they want. Doesn't mean they are worth listening to, or that they have any credence, but who cares if they flap their receding gums? Just another dude with an opinion, like every genius here.

11. Starman

JFK: Vapid pretty-boy.
    LBJ: Corrupt oil-industry stooge, personally an obnoxious asshole.
    Nixon: Paranoid crook, closet fascist.
    Ford: Doofus.
    Carter: Wimp.
    Reagan: Senile doddering old idiot.
    Daddy Bush: Dithering moron.
    Clinton: Spermy-fingered wanker.
    Shrubby Bush: Utter incompetent, fucks up a wet dream. Oh yeah, also see LBJ: corrupt oil-industry stooge.

12. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

What mud did he sling? And if Carter is indeed a man of dignity and all that BS, he should understand that calling a president and his policies the absolute worst is going to draw a negative reaction.

And for the record, Carter is increasingly irrelevant.

Draft saved Draft deleted