1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

No autographs!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Jul 18, 2007.

1. I'll put their dumb people up against our dumb people anyday ... unless of course it's a Guitar Hero competition.

2. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

I'm sure you would, and I think I'd agree. But a lot of Europeans, especially from Britain, are dumber than a bag of rocks.

3. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

you're still here? fuck dude, don't you have some legal issues to clear up?

4. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I know the autograph is way off limits. I usually will just shake the person's hand. That is my idea of an autograph. Shaking Elway's or Montana's hand has always been more important to me than that an autograph.

I have seen two actors from The Wire while traveling, and what I do is just look them in the eye, say hello, tell them I love the show and get a good handhake. That is plenty for me.

I will confess what I am guilty of, though. Twice I have asked a photog to snap a pic of me interviewing a person. Once it was Havlicek because he is my uncle's favorite player, and once I asked a pic to be taken with me interviewing a top NBA player because we went to the same high school. I infact remember the 10-year-old kid coming into the gym with his famously estranged father during summer hoops back when I was a high schooler.

Am I the only one guilty of doing the pic while you are interviewing?

5. boots

boots New Member

I never thought of it as being any big deal personally. You aren't alone though. A lot of scribes have and will continue to do it.

6. standman

standman Member

There are certainly some cultural differences in the way the media treats athletes in other countries. I remember at the U.S. Open (tennis) when the Japanese reporters would clap after a Japanese player finished an interview. The same thing happens with some Latin American reporters after an interview with Sabbatini... I couldn't blame them for that, she was fine.

Draft saved Draft deleted