1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

No. 14, Encarnacion/Sojo - The Baseball Thread continues

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Angola!, Jul 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Ned Yost lays down the smack down on Prince Fielder by putting him in the starting lineup tonight.

That'll show 'em for assaulting a teammate!

At least one brain cell is working as Ray Durham is starting tonight.

2. Tommy_Dreamer

Tommy_Dreamer Well-Known Member

Hey, Prince did apologize after all :D

3. Bubbler

Not really. Not according to the JS blog. Either way, he should sit at least one game.

4. Tommy_Dreamer

ESPN had a story about him apologizing, but I'd take your word over something like that over ESPN's

5. Bubbler

Uh, the J-S blog is written by the Brewers' beat writer. You know, the guy whose job it is to cover the team everyday?

I'll trust his word over fucking ESPN when it comes to the Brewers any day of the week.

6. Tommy_Dreamer

I wasn't being a jerk about it. I was actually dissing ESPN's coverage in general. Of course I'd trust your word or whoever is doing the Brewers beat over ESPN's any day of the week!

7. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

John Olderud spent only three games in the minor leagues -- in 2005, at the end of his 17-year career with Boston. I love that stat.

8. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Whoa. Looks like Joba's going to be examined by Dr. James Andrews tomorrow.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3520940

9. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Going 21 seasons between minor league appearances seems to be tougher than most of us might think. It takes a combination of longetivity in the majors, no major injuries that would force a rehab stint, and/or a desire to continue playing ball after your major league career is over.

Robin Roberts (1948 to 1967) went 19 seasons between minor league appearances. Don Sutton (1968 to 1988) and Pete Alexander (1910 to 1930) each went 20 seasons.

Glavine (1987 to 2008), Eddie Murray (1976 to 1997), Tommy John (1964 to 1985) and Tris Speaker (1908 to 1929) all went 21 seasons between.

Cy Young, if you can count the 1890 Tri-State League as a "real" minor league appearance, went 22 seasons between (1890 to 1912). So did Bert Blyleven (1970 to 1992).

Greg Maddux has not made a minor league appearance since August 1987, so his stretch would be a little longer than Glavine's if he ever makes a rehab start before he retires.

But it's Warren Spahn who seems to hold the record -- 24 seasons between appearances -- 1942 to 1966. All of this is according to the SABR Minor League Database.

10. Angola!

Angola! Guest

uh oh. joba seeing andrews leaves me hearing the death bells on the yankees season.

11. Tommy_Dreamer

Ahhhh sweet music :D

12. Angola!

Angola! Guest

nice. i'm glad you root for injury. real classy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.