1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

No. 1 with a 92-year-old bullet

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Double J, Sep 19, 2009.

1. Double J

Double J Active Member

The top-selling album in the United Kingdom is not by the Beatles, whose biggest-selling re-release to date (Sgt. Pepper) is No. 5 on the most recent chart.

The Fabs are also at Nos. 6 (Abbey Road), 9 (Revolver) and 10 (Rubber Soul).

The top-selling album is also not by the Arctic Monkeys, who debuted at the summit two weeks ago and remained there last week. They're now at No. 4.

No, the best-selling album in the UK is a greatest hits package by Dame Vera Lynn, age 92, the wartime sweetheart whose patriotic songs were known to make hardened soldiers break down and cry.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio1/chart/albums.shtml

The album premiered two weeks ago at No. 20, jumped last week to No. 2 and has now gone all the way to the top, her first No. 1 of any kind since 1954.

Even more surreal - this fascinating factoid was told to me tonight by Petula Clark, whom I met at an appearance here.

2. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

WhoTF are the Arctic Monkeys?

3. Double J

Double J Active Member

They're not very popular here, if at all, but they're hugely popular over there - three album releases, three number ones, plus a handful of hit singles.

They had a minor hit single here a few years ago with a song called "I Bet You Look Good On The Dance Floor."

4. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

Yeah, they're absolutely huge in the UK. I was there when one of their albums was coming out and it was a really big deal. I've never understood all the hype. They're pretty good, but I don't see what's so special about them.

5. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I know for a fact that there is no subway for Petula Clark to advise people not to sleep in in your part of the world, JJ. No downtown either. :)

6. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Crap on a disk.

7. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Arctic Monkeys were known as the first social media music phenoms, IIRC, thanks to a myspace-fueled debut album.

8. DisembodiedOwlHead

DisembodiedOwlHead Active Member

They actually have a song called "Who the fuck are the Arctic Monkeys?"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Who_the_Fuck_Are_Arctic_Monkeys

9. Double J

Double J Active Member

We do so have a downtown, and a couple of Subways too!

[​IMG]

10. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I know more about The Arctic Monkeys than you've forgotten.

11. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Damn, you met Pet Clark? I'm jealous.

12. Cape_Fear

Cape_Fear Active Member

Does anybody here remember Vera Lynn?</pinkfloyd>

Draft saved Draft deleted