1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

No. 1 with a 92-year-old bullet

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Double J, Sep 19, 2009.

1. Double J

Double J Active Member

The top-selling album in the United Kingdom is not by the Beatles, whose biggest-selling re-release to date (Sgt. Pepper) is No. 5 on the most recent chart.

The Fabs are also at Nos. 6 (Abbey Road), 9 (Revolver) and 10 (Rubber Soul).

The top-selling album is also not by the Arctic Monkeys, who debuted at the summit two weeks ago and remained there last week. They're now at No. 4.

No, the best-selling album in the UK is a greatest hits package by Dame Vera Lynn, age 92, the wartime sweetheart whose patriotic songs were known to make hardened soldiers break down and cry.

The album premiered two weeks ago at No. 20, jumped last week to No. 2 and has now gone all the way to the top, her first No. 1 of any kind since 1954.

Even more surreal - this fascinating factoid was told to me tonight by Petula Clark, whom I met at an appearance here.

YGBFKM Guest

WhoTF are the Arctic Monkeys?
  3. Double J

Double J Active Member

They're not very popular here, if at all, but they're hugely popular over there - three album releases, three number ones, plus a handful of hit singles.

They had a minor hit single here a few years ago with a song called "I Bet You Look Good On The Dance Floor."
  4. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

Yeah, they're absolutely huge in the UK. I was there when one of their albums was coming out and it was a really big deal. I've never understood all the hype. They're pretty good, but I don't see what's so special about them.
  5. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I know for a fact that there is no subway for Petula Clark to advise people not to sleep in in your part of the world, JJ. No downtown either. :)
  6. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Crap on a disk.
  7. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Arctic Monkeys were known as the first social media music phenoms, IIRC, thanks to a myspace-fueled debut album.
  8. DisembodiedOwlHead

DisembodiedOwlHead Active Member

They actually have a song called "Who the fuck are the Arctic Monkeys?"

9. Double J

Double J Active Member

We do so have a downtown, and a couple of Subways too!

10. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I know more about The Arctic Monkeys than you've forgotten.
  11. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Damn, you met Pet Clark? I'm jealous.
  12. Cape_Fear

Cape_Fear Active Member

Does anybody here remember Vera Lynn?</pinkfloyd>
Draft saved Draft deleted