1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

No.1-ranked college football team on pay per view

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by HejiraHenry, Nov 20, 2009.

1. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

Happens all the time. When networks pass on these shit games they are usually offered on PPV for $30.00 per game. It will be listed as part of Gameplan but still has the additional cost.

On a side note, this weekend's schedule sucks balls.

3. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Do you people work for newspapers? Can you read?

The question: Can someone please tell me the last time a No. 1 ranked team appeared on PPV at all ... or, failing that, the last time a No. 1 ranked team appeared on PPV this late in the season.

4. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

Like I said, it happens all the time. Go do some research if the specifics are that fucking important to you.

http://www.gatorzone.com/story.php?id=14806

Don't think UF was #1 at gametime, though.

5. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

This is what happens when no broadcast outlet wants the game.

I have no clue why Florida is playing FIU in November. On the other hand, Alabama fans don't get to act all high and mighty about this week's schedule, either.

6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Just a shot in the dark, but I'd guess it's because of the SEC schedule. Several SEC East teams (Georgia, Florida and South Carolina) have a traditional non-conference rivalry game the last week of the season. So they start the SEC schedule earlier -- Florida is already done -- and end up with an open date at the end. They chose to fill it rather than take the bye week now.
    I suppose it doesn't look good to play a team like FIU at the end of the season. But in the grand scheme of things, is it really any different than playing them in September? You play them when you play them. If anything, playing the majority of the SEC schedule early in the year should be more difficult, right?

7. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

geez, take a pill.

8. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

Here's the AP Poll Archive No. 1 progression. Start your research here, HH:

http://www.appollarchive.com/football/ap/num1_weekly.cfm?seasonid=2009

9. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Florida has occasionally taken this week of the season off in the past. That might actually be more acceptable.

10. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I think the problem with that is that this is one of those years where there are only 13 Saturdays during the regular season, as opposed to 14, as there were last year. That means you get only one bye week, and most teams are not going to choose to take it in week 12.

FYI, the SEC office mandated beginning last season that every team MUST play a game during Thanksgiving week. In the past, a lot of teams would play their final regular-season game this week (Alabama-Auburn, Clemson-South Carolina were two), but they can't do that any more. Consequently, you're going to be left with a non-conference game late in the season, and you're not going to get a I-A team to come to your place this late in the year (if for no other reason than they're playing conference games, too).

Draft saved Draft deleted