1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NL MVP

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Columbo, Oct 1, 2006.

?

Who is it?

1. Ryan Howard (incredible second half, but 2 HRs and 11 RBI in final 21 games as Phils died)

19 vote(s)
    57.6%
  2. Albert Pujols (Many numbers pale with Howard's, but he had a huge finish)

14 vote(s)
    42.4%
  1. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

You poor little manure-munching misanthropic munchkin, I have you killed with the facts.

You just can't admit it.

2. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Pujols hits balls just outside the zone.

Howard takes them.

That's not arguable, either.

3. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

You're so cute when you say something's not arguable and expect people to bow to you. Do you think just because you say something ridiculous and then add "that's not arguable," that we're supposed to let your bullshit slide?

4. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

Also like how you picked "after" September 8, so Howard's 3-for-4 with 2 homers game doesn't count. Don't think that went unnoticed.

5. jagtrader

jagtrader Active Member

I'm not sure why anyone would get too worked up over this debate. They're both deserving. It's not a mistake for either to win.

This isn't like last year when ESPN nearly campaigned Andruw Jones to the MVP. That was a joke.

6. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Exactly.

7. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

How about this: The loser of the Howard-Pujols MVP battle gets the Cy Young, since no one really deserves it in the NL this year. (separate thread soon to come).

8. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

Since September 8:

Howard: 28 walks (15 intentional)
    Pujols: 14 walks (5 intentional)

So, throwing out the IBBs (which, I'm guessing you still think Howard should have swung at), the walk count is 13 for Howard and 9 for Pujols. But you keep saying the difference is that Pujols is driving pitches that Howard doesn't swing at.

Would you like me to include Howard's 3 HBPs? Or should he have taken a rip at those and driven them the way Pujols (0 HBPs) would have.

Edit: Ooops. Guess that was arguable.

Edit II: Y'all are free to check my math. It's still a little early in the a.m. for me. But I'm afraid we've got another "Mauer doesn't drive anybody in" argument on our hands.

9. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

We were actually joking about that exact thing at work the other night. And it's a deal.

10. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

The idea of picking up on when a guy has gone cold is starting after the guy's last good game. Yes.

Pretty standard operating procedure there.

In the final 21 games of the season (what I would think can safely be called the stretch),

Howard had numbers that would extrapolate over a full season to:
    .328 BA, 15 HR and 85 RBI

Pujols?
    .400 BA (this even includes an 0-4 on Sept. 9 to match the number of games with Howard), 39 HR and 162 RBI.

P.S. Howard isn't close to Pujols as a defensive player, either.

11. spnited

spnited Active Member

The good news is Pube/Columbo doesn't have an MVP vote...hell, we have no proof he's actually a journalist (but we do have proof he's a troll).
    I still believe Howard has the edge and will win, especially since Pujols' "MVP-type finish" helped his team win just 3 of its final 12 games.

12. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Pujols all by himself gave the Cards the one win they absolutely had to have and played a key part in the other two.

Hitting .400 the final three weeks with 5 HRs and 21 RBI is disputable as an MVP performance only by trolls.

You bring no facts.

You're the fucking dust-farting troll.

Draft saved Draft deleted